Jupiter with ASI120MM cmos camera.....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

After driving through the heart of Oz for 2100km - which included a 7 hour night trip from Alice to Tennant Creek we arrived yesterday morning around 9am and set up the scope in the afternoon.....mind you, we were pretty tired from the days before when travelling very long stretches of country with the outside temperatures hovering around 45C degrees in the shade - the road temperature was something else. and we couldn't use the aircon in our old car pulling the van and a heavy load, so it was bl**#! hot in the vehicle with a brilliant Sun belting down :mrevil:..!

But it was good to see Jupiter a bit higher in the sky than from down home at 35S.....we were dog-tired and didn't realise untill the seeing had dropped off and the imaging session was almost over that we hadn't set the parameters in FireCapture correctly.....the RAM was not being utilised correctly and frames weren't being saved as they were captured...and the fps was a bit down from 70fps to 63fps at that resolution (640x480) but our fazed brains couldn't make the connections till near pack-up time..! :sleepy: :foreheadslap: :lol:

This caused an extended timespan for the total capture waiting for frames to be saved.....and imaging Jove naturally required different control settings than the Mars images we were taking at home: I settled on 75% histograms but think I could have backed off a tad more (maybe not though..! :question: :)) and we hadn't enabled either Sam's latest driver updates or Torsten's additions to his latest beta build...

But it was nice to see some detail on Jupiter for the first time since last apparition.....except for conditions such as superb seeing and/or atmospheric dispersion correctors, I think in general it's pretty tough to get decent images of Jupiter when it's only about 30 degrees above the horizon.....

Dog-tired, we got up just before 3am and although clouds and haze looked threatening the sky around Jupiter cleared but for some very slight haze.....seeing was quite reasonable although I wouldn't put it more than what I gave in the image info - but as I said, much better onscreen than anything at home this apparition..! :shocked: :lol:

Nothing to write home about but promising - we've cut it pretty fine because the "Wet" (monsoon) season is almost upon us here and already we've had one good drench and several power black-outs from lightening associated with the thunderstorms already.....but it'd be nice to get one or two decent opportunities in the next week or so..! :bow: :)

The large image scale from 3.75uM pixels in the sensor is still a slight annoyance and I really should have paid someone to make up a flange so I could screw the TeleVue 2X barlow straight into the camera body...but you need a thread-chaser at least for that and I don't have access to said (nor the nouse to use such!)

Plenty to learn about this camera with Jove and hopefuly get a night where I can swap between it and the Flea3.....but whatever, hopefully just one decent imaging session whilst we are here in The Northern Territory... :)

ps: Processed on the laptop so it ain't necessarily the best....! :grin:

#2 karlo

karlo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Nice !!
BTW Darryl I recall a friend of mine many moons ago doing a similar trip thru Oz and I remember vividly how he described getting out of the car in the middle of nowhere and it was so hot the road had melted to his trainer soles ! He had a hard time pulling 'em off the road ! :)

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

.....and the rgb capture immediately prior to the one above - we only managed 4 rgb runs that were passable in the seeing (with time wasted searching our exhausted minds wondering why some things weren't quite right....!)

Processed on the laptop also but with a slightly different approach - and at a scale that most probably more befits the very average conditions..! :lol:

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi Karlo, thanks - it was just great to see something recognisable as Jupiter onscreen after the rubbish from home recently..!

As to your friend and melted bitumen/tar roads etc, it often gets hot enough for that scenario.....the car was recording an ambient of around 46C but you can bet your boots that if you were standing on the road with a thermometer it would've flown way past 50C.....Marla to Kulgera was probably the worst but before Coober Pedy wasn't very cool either....! :shocked: :p

We drive an old Ford 4-litre 6 cylinder wagon pulling the van.....too hot to run on the LPG so it was petrol and locking into 3rd gear (4-speed auto) with cruise control to keep the revs on about 2400rpm at 90km/hr.....that was the old girl's sweet spot for keeping the engine happy! :bow: :)

#5 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Ouch, what a level of detail in there Darryl, that's
a wonderful result!!!
Makes the traveling worth the effort I guess!
Over here it's only raining and cloudy, so I appreciate
you sharing this beautiful work over here!
Keep up the good work :waytogo:

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Mert - in Tennant Creek today the temperature was prety low and we had a good rain earlier today.....along with the electricity supply going off & on quite a number of times - lucky we're not totally dependant upon the mains supply!

Up North there are only really 2 basic seasons, the "Wet" & the "Dry" and the weather systems will have moved right into the "Wet" within 2 or 3 weeks.....so it's in the next week or so before we leave for home that we'll be wishing for a lucky break or 2 during the early mornings..... :bow: :)

I haven't travelled this way since it was mainly dirt roads when I was a boy :shocked: :question: but my wife has never been here before and doesn't handle the heat well.....which was why I had to get our old van fitted with a portable airconditioner that worked well - after much faffing around we have it running very well, but that is dependant upon the mains electricity supply (I didn't bring our big generator) and thankfully the power black-outs have all been today when it was cool..... :)

But both of us have really enjoyed the trip from an "experience" point of view and some of the scenery has been almost "magical" - the sunrise out of Barrow Creek was magnificent with the "forests" of termite cones, some of which are 2metres+ tall...

And you've got to get out and around while you can, if you can I reckon....! :lol:

#7 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hey Darryl. Nice job. Looks a bit overexposed on my screen though.
Cheers

#8 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Great results Darryl! Processing looks fine to me, the color is always difficult when the blue channel is nearly featureless. Well done!

So you are not using a atmospheric dispersion corrector? And also, what barlow are you using for those small pixels?

Glenn

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Tim & Glenn! :)

Tim - it sure wasn't over-exposed (histograms around 75%) but it could be the processing on my laptop which isn't calibrated and normally only used for captures.....meaning I'm getting a poor appraisal of what's happenning.....of course, your screen might be exacerbating things a bit also..! :grin:

Glenn, at Tennant Creek Jupiter is almost touching 50 degrees. And yes, the blue channel is the big impediment for these captures and was again this morning... :(

I'm using the lens element section of my TeleVue 2X barlow and a special cut-down old cheap barlow body which I've fitted with brass compression bands either end etc.....by placing the EFW before the barlow I've managed to bring the T/Vue's amplification down to about 1.6X which is still a bit too high - this camera gives an image scale approximately 1.5X the Flea3's scale for the same f/l: at 512x440 resolution it'll provide 74fps - only 4fps above the 640x480 res but it's a tight squeeze......512x400 gives 80fps but I need 1.4X scale for that!

I can modify a fitting to get it down to around 1.4X which would be fine but I'd need someone to cut the unorthodox threads the T/Vue uses; for that it'd need a lathe with thread-chasing gear or CNC...

But atm I'm encountering a bit of a problem with Torsten's latest build of F/Cap using the cam.....RAM doesn't seem to be being utilised properly, and whilst most other things in F/Cap are working ok I have a suspicion that untill Torsten gets his own camera to play with, some bugs are going to persist.....but it could also be some settings in the .ini files being a DirectShow camera, so I need to communicate with Sam & Torsten..... :question: :confused:

This morning we swapped to the Flea3 after a session with the ASI120MM - not the best of seeing and it was only because the sky unpredictably cleared around 3am that we went outside and imaged.....but a Gallilean Moon was transitting across the GRS so it's be nice if one processing came out reasonable at any scale :).....no idea what moon it was atm... :question: :)

#10 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thats certainly dedication!

#11 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

That's quite the saga Darryl, glad there was some successful imaging in there for you :grin: We have been blessed with some unusually good conditions here in the Mid-Atlantic region lately, looks like we have to pay up soon with Hurricane Sandy and the return of the jet stream in our future. Got you some good detail in those shots sir, best of luck in the upcoming weeks...

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the comments - Brian, I think your hurricanes are our cyclones.....just different lingo for the ones that come off the ocean and can wreak enormous dammage (as well as danger!)

These are what come with "The Wet" up in Australia's "Top End" and although this far inland they normally don't cause anymore trouble than drenching rain and some flooding, I'd rather not be up here when they start coming in from the Timor Sea..... :shocked: :help:

Half your luck with the good seeing conditions - I hope you can continue to capture some good images of "The King." :waytogo:

We gave the ASI120MM a rest this morning and just used the Flea3 - it was one of those times when there's plenty of detail but it just won't "snap" completely into sharp focus/definition - it's frustrating in those circumstances!

Dropped the image scale back to get a bit sharper clarity but I'm not hopefull of anything more than mediocre, although with one Gallilean Moon popping out from behind Jupiter one side and another coming in from the other and ever-so-slowly disappearing behind Jove we might make some sort of entertaining animation, but we resorted to iR-R-G-B runs hoping the extra definition of the iR742nM might provide good luminance data to enhance the RGB's...might post later if it comes up to scratch.

#13 Az Frank

Az Frank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

You grabbed some excellent detail there Darryl! Miss your your late Mars captures,always good to see something different in the middle of the Jupiter apparition.

#14 claytonbigwood

claytonbigwood

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Nice to see some results Darryl. Conditions look better than down here.
Hope you are both having a good time, if not restful!

#15 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hi Darryl
nice picture!
Its a good start!

#16 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

Thank you Frank, Rob & Sam! :)

Frank, I often read others making this statement but now it's happenning to me - there's a tree in the way where we are staying in the Northern Territory that prevents me from imaging Mars while we're here! :lol:

But it is probably too hot during the day most times to expect a cool enough scope just after sunset, and we did travel 2000km for the elevation of Jupiter anyway.....

Rob, these tiny ants have invaded the car and possibly stuffed up some of the electronics.....it's a common occurence and the AANT :question: :foreheadslap: :roflmao: (NT's RAA equivalent) have been out and will pick the car up and take into their garage - they found one relay to the fuel injectors is cactus atm and possibly more.....the "smartlock" anti-theft gear is playing up so we'll just have to wait (and image! :grin:) while they sort things out: but we'll just "go with the flow" and hopefully we'll be operational fairly soon - we have premium RAA roadside assistance so we're covered in the event of a major problem! :)

Sam, I replied to your email earlier - what you suggested makes sense although the filesizes of the avi's didn't look as though they were too far out of the ordinary - although the ASI's avi's were around 3.6Gb compared to the Flea3's 1.5Gb avi's and the Flea3 avi's had quite a lot more frames :question:.....maybe tomorrow morning will tell more... :)

#17 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Darryl, I will never complain again about getting up at 3 in the morning for Jupiter after you guys drove 2,600 miles round trip to see the planet transit 11 degrees higher in the sky. The image looks great even though the seeing was less than ideal. The distance, the heat, no air conditioning in your vehicle and the time it took all add up to an extraordinary effort, I mean it's not as though you threw a C8 in the back of your SUV and headed off for a leisurely stroll in the countryside, you had a full fledged C14, a heavy mount and god knows how many other related items to move an enormous distance!

Pete

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Darryl, I will never complain again about getting up at 3 in the morning for Jupiter after you guys drove 2,600 miles round trip to see the planet transit 11 degrees higher in the sky. The image looks great even though the seeing was less than ideal. The distance, the heat, no air conditioning in your vehicle and the time it took all add up to an extraordinary effort, I mean it's not as though you threw a C8 in the back of your SUV and headed off for a leisurely stroll in the countryside, you had a full fledged C14, a heavy mount and god knows how many other related items to move an enormous distance!

Pete

Hey Pete - that's 16 degrees higher....! :lol:

And don't forget we took the aircon for the van, and the 5" apo and HEQ5, 3 laptops, 4 planetary cams and a dslr + 4 suitcases of accessories, etc, etc (and I'm not joking here bro!!!):roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Our car problem turned out great with fantastic same-day service including coming and taking us back to the garage to pick up the car and even bringing over the van keys which my wife had inadvertently left in their office.....they found the fault and cleaned the ECU relay and the old Ford is running better than ever - all for $95!!! :shocked: :grin:

Seeing was a bit better this morning and hopefully some imrovements to the ones above.....and yesterday morning we got some reasonable images with the best being iR742nM ones - I was quite pleased to capture a couple with Ganymede coming out from Jove's shadow and at a nice crescent stage! :)

Will post when I can and we hope to stay here for up to one more week in that elusive quest for one really decent imaging session! :)

#19 claytonbigwood

claytonbigwood

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

No wonder there was nothing left to take when I raided your place the other night Darryl :)
Glad that there was nothing too serious wrong with the old Ford :waytogo:
Good luck in the coming week with your captures, and wish you all the best for the long trip home!!

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

Thanks Rob for the well-wishes.....we might need them :bow: :grin: - those %$#@! ants had crammed into the injector relay and another one next to it - they had to glue the covers back on after cleaning to stop them getting back in and we may have some more issues which might keep us here a bit longer (all "ant-related") :shocked: :foreheadslap:

But it looks like the new Nissan might be purchased as soon as we get home...and the new caravan when Pat comes into her inheritance later on: these ants are something else with today's electronics (or even yesteryear's electronics in the case of our old Ford EF wagon....! :shocked: :))

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics