Using CGEM Last Alignment feature

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 YetAnotherHobby

YetAnotherHobby

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central CT

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

I want to use Nexremote with my CGEM but I find it frustrating to use for alignment. Is there any reason I could not align using the familiar HC
, send her home, shut her off, power up and use Nexremote to choose Last Alignment? Anyone have any luck with this method?

While I am at it, is there any way to remap the buttons on a Rumblepad? There seems to be a particular syntax to the .ini file that is not spelled out in the documentation.

Thanks!

Geoff

#2 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

You can use hibernate/wake up function, but only if you don't move the mount.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Geoff,

NexRemote and the real HC don't talk to each other. Any information stored (say for Hibernation or last alignment, etc.) cannot be shared by the other. So do everything (initial alignment, Hibernate, etc.) with only one of them and you will be fine. If you do an initial alignment with NexRemote the ONLY thing you should or can do with the real HC is to use the arrow direction keys ... otherwise just never touch it.

As for re mapping the keys for the gamepad ... the .ini file contained a list of button labels then = then the function then ; then a comment. If you change or move the function to another key label you've remapped the key once you re start NexRemote. Keep the label text intact and use the same spaces before and after it and you should be fine.

On my system the joystick.ini file is in C:\Program Files\Celestron\NexRemote

For example to swap the Align and Enter buttons ...

Original .ini text:

Button5 = Align ;Button 5
Button6 = Enter ;Button 6

New .ini text:

Button5 = Enter ;Button 5
Button6 = Align ;Button 6

Just be sure to save a copy of the original .ini file as a backup before you go and start changing stuff.

#4 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

What Mark says about alignment agrees with my experience. The controller (HC or NextRemote) that does the alignment holds the needed info and can't share it. Sad but true. A GREAT update would be to allow the sharing of that info. Are ya listening Celestron/Derick?

Al

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics