LX-800 Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#51 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Rolling in it? Not exactly, but basically a 60% return in only 2 months is nothing to be sneezed at.

Not to start another fight, but have you looked at this? I can't quite reconcile what you just said with the information on the link I provided. Strange, indeed. :shrug:

#52 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Rolling in it? Not exactly, but basically a 60% return in only 2 months is nothing to be sneezed at.

Not to start another fight, but have you looked at this? I can't quite reconcile what you just said with the information on the link I provided. Strange, indeed. :shrug:

No, that's right and that is exactly what I was saying and exactly what I predicted.. You can make money when you think a stock is about to collapse. Its called shorting http://en.wikipedia....hort_(finance).

If the stock goes down in value you profit the difference. If it goes up you are screwed.

To anyone who could read (and understand) a set of financial statements it is easy to see that things are not all sugar and cream in the land of Meade.

#53 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

That's for dadgummed sure, alas. :(

I don't think this will be a big year for their department store Christmas sales either. For the third year in a row, there are no Xmas scopes at the local Walmart.

#54 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

In the mean time, Celestron 102 GT scopes are selling like hotcakes at CostCo. I saw my local CostCo sell two pallets in two weeks. Not bad.

#55 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I remember those postings in September. Thought about it, too.

The big problem for me back then was that Meade is so sparsely traded that even getting the option to short it was not possible with my broker.

Oh well..

#56 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Ummmmm....I thought this was an LX800 update thread. Hint?!

David

#57 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well, if you can figure out a way to get $1.9 million together, you can buy Meade outright, based on what it closed at on Friday.

But back to Dave's point:

They've got to get those LX800s back out the door. If I had the tiller, I'd scale way back to a short list of products and make sure whatever went out the door freaking worked. If they've sunk some real effort into the LX800s and they are working now, get them out there.

-Rich

#58 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I haven't been keeping up, but maybe someone has... they were at the recent ASAE event and there were pictures of the LX800 they had on display. With all of the items that were identified as issues in the original design, can anyone spot any changes/improvements based on the one they had on display?

Are they actually making improvements, or still just showing the same old mount?

Clear skies,

#59 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

If I were an 800 owner, I'd be worried that something really bad will happen to Meade before they get those mounts back out the door. Which is assuming anything at all has been done to them. :hmmmm:

#60 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I see through this whole, sad saga the company still has money for advertising. No doubt these ads are set up many months in advance. No Starlock ad in the latest Sky and Tel though.

I'd feel very insecure if Meade had several thousands of my dollars . . . and my non-functioning telescope to boot. After all these months? It's hard to be optimistic at this point.

Why, oh why can't these things be made to work? It looks so fantastic . . . in the ads.

I'd be concentrating on getting my cash back well before this point. When, if, they get them working will be the time to repurchase.

I'm no lawyer but, if the unthinkable happens, the courts usually treat creditors best and consumers get what's left, no? And there is usually nothing left. :(

#61 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

There is a new post up in the SCT forum noting that Meade is now taking orders for the bare LX-800 OTAs from 10-16 inches. Not sure what that means, but in reviewing some of these threads it appears that there are no issues with the LX-800 optics, just the mounts and Starlock system. So they have have hit on a strategy to push OTAs and let people mount them themselves.

As one who has worked in private sector and political communications, I am reminded of the old axiom that when you have bad news to deal with, get it out there first and frankly. I think Meade would be well served by devoting their contracted full page ad space in Sky and Telescope and Astonomy to a simple "here's how we screwed up and here is what we are doing to fix it and when it will be done" message. But then some people tried to tell Richard Nixon to do that too . . .

#62 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

So they have have hit on a strategy to push OTAs

Strategery as G. Bush would have said. :lol:

#63 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

They've got to get some cash in the door, somehow. It would be easy to guess the LX800 effort has collapsed, but I think this is really all about some positive cash flow. If the OTAs are a go, then this is a good idea.

-Rich

#64 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

If the focuser is OK on the scopes! I understand that in another thread, it was stated they were working on it.
Blueman

#65 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

The time to worry is when they start giving themselves big bonuses.

#66 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

I was wondering about that focuser report as well. I have no idea what to make of it since I thought the design should be pretty mature.

Then again, I thought autoguiding was pretty mature, too.

-Rich

#67 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

I was wondering about that focuser report as well. I have no idea what to make of it since I thought the design should be pretty mature.

Then again, I thought autoguiding was pretty mature, too.

-Rich

An internal crayford focuser in an SCT is something Meade has not tried before, so I'd hardly call it "mature." ;)

#68 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

An internal crayford focuser in an SCT is something Meade has not tried before, so I'd hardly call it "mature." ;)

That would at least explain why the OTAs are being held back too...

#69 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I didn't realize they had tried that. OK, so it seems they threw out 40 years of experience on every major product they had, claimed the results would surpass everything else made by industry, and announced it all well before any of it could be delivered, and then shipped before they saw it work.

It's frankly extraordinary. This is much more like the behavior of a startup staffed by inexperienced newbies.

I can only guess there was a meeting where they reviewed where things were and what came out of it was, "We've got to do something new. We're going to a bold new lineup unlike anything from our competitors. We're swinging for the bleachers!"

I keep thinking about Quantum.

I strongly recommend anyone with an LX800 to get either your mount or your money back, soon.

-Rich

#70 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

It's like Deja Vu all over again...

Meade had some real winners over the years. The 1" shaft Newtonians, the RG Newtonians. The LX200 (except for those tupperware gears and coffee grinder drives) the DSI cameras.

And then there's now.

At least the winners of yore were Diebel creations. He retired a long time ago, though. Current ownership may have inherited his ability to innovate, but they also inherited his tendency to market his products before they were thoroughly tested.

-Tim.

#71 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

That would at least explain why the OTAs are being held back too...

No it does not. The OTAs were held back for other reason and I will keep it to myself. You guys are speculating again.

#72 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Alph,

The Meade people are the source of the focuser story, so that's not speculation. It caught everyone by surprise.

So, what's the other reason?

Holding back data doesn't serve any purpose in this situation.

-Rich

#73 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

No it does not. The OTAs were held back for other reason and I will keep it to myself. You guys are speculating again.

I'm not speculating pea-turkey. The 800 has an internal crayford, which they have not done before.

If you think you have special knowledge, that's cool, but don't expect anybody to take much notice if you keep your secret special knowledge secret. :lol:

#74 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Gday Rod

I'm not speculating pea-turkey. The 800 has an internal crayford,

It may be semantics, but does the unit have a "crayford" style focusser,
( ie a spring loaded drive shaft using friction to grip the baffle tube )
or is the advance just that the sled itself is now on preloaded ball bearings.
Ie all piccies i have seen still show the focus knob "appears" to push the mirror sled via a tangent bar as per current mechanisms. The ball bearings mean a tight fit with no friction for the sled, hence no mirror slop, but it still seems to be just a bog std offset dual speed focusser mechanism driving it all???.
Why i ask is i always wondered if it would be possible to mod an std SCT to directly load the sled at the centre of the mirror, not via an offset pin as per now, thus removing the twisting force that gives mirror shift. I was thinking of using a pivoting lever behind the sled, but a motorised crayford gripping onto the baffle tube would also work.
Just wondering whats really in there???

Andrew

#75 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I am describing it as _Meade_ describes it. Until somebody gets one and has a good look...who knows? ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics