• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have to say that there are some incredible pics of Jupiter on here lately.
I was wondering if people could post some of their stacked, processed pics, along with a representative single pic from the stack. Sort of a before and after to give me a bit better idea of what to accept for a sub frame.

Thanks in advance!

#2 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Here ya go.

This was from the end of last month...I haven't been out since because of bad weather :(. I have a C8, and I was imaging with a 3x barlow and my SPC900NC webcam (at f/30).
Seeing was pretty good at the time, at least 4/5.

I ran an .avi through autostakkert2 and at the top left is what AS2! said the best frame was. On the top right is a stack of 1000 frames (out of 3500). Bottom left is with wavelets from Registax6 + an RGB align. Bottom right is with additional deconvolution + an autocolor correction.

Attached Files

#3 kowspot2000

kowspot2000

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Corvallis, OR

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

What did you do (what software/method) did you take to deconvolute the image? The step from wavelets to deconv is amazing!

#4 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

What did you do (what software/method) did you take to deconvolute the image? The step from wavelets to deconv is amazing!

I use the Astra Image Photoshop plugin.

For my images (probably because I am using a one shot color) webcam, there is a limit to how hard you can go with wavelet sharpening in registax. Just hard to get the fine details with wavelets. I tend to do a softer sharpening with registax and then the deconvolution steps help bring out the finer details. It does bring out some noise, but I can put up with some extra noise if I can get some finer details.

#5 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I was wondering if people could post some of their stacked, processed pics, along with a representative single pic from the stack.

I'd say that if seeing is below excellent, a fragment of actual raw video is a better demonstration than any single frame. With just that in mind I have uploaded a few of mine, here's the latest (and the best so far) Jupiter:

http://vimeo.com/52038388

Stacked (AviStack 2, wavelets and histogram in Registax 6):

Posted Image

#6 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

• Loc: Sachse TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

zAmbonii you are driving me nuts!! What an amazing sequence from start to finish. I would let you borrow my cat in trade for you making a thread detailing your processing.

Regards,
Brad

#7 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thank you guys so much, the pics, and especially the video shows me what raw data looks like, scary indeed! The skill is in the processing, most obviously. I won't be discouraged with my blurry videos, I will soldier on with learning how to massage them into something presentable.

#8 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Never get discouraged.

The most important part of imaging (to me at least) is the seeing. You can't control that -- unless you have a good seeing machine and I am sure that you would be able to make a fortune! Everything else is secondary. A good scope and a good camera can make the best out of the seeing, but if you have poor seeing your images are going to be subpar.

It took me a long time, and a lot of imaging sessions to realize that. But once you have a night of good seeing you quickly realize that the subpar results didn't have anything to do with what you did right or wrong, you just weren't going to get a good image because of the conditions.

Brad: My workflow isn't really anything special....and can be replicated by anyone with the same tools :). I have figured out some settings that work good and I usually use similar settings for each imaging session. I think I will start another thread to show what I did. I'll also have an .avi download so ppl can try themselves, and have some screenshots showing my settings in AS2!, R6, and Photoshop to show how I got the image I did.

#9 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

• Loc: Sachse TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Brad: My workflow isn't really anything special....and can be replicated by anyone with the same tools :). I have figured out some settings that work good and I usually use similar settings for each imaging session. I think I will start another thread to show what I did. I'll also have an .avi download so ppl can try themselves, and have some screenshots showing my settings in AS2!, R6, and Photoshop to show how I got the image I did.

Indeed, I do also start with Autostakkert2 and then Registax6. I am trying to avoid spending money on Photoshop and have tried GIMP but noticed that it was converting my images to 8 bit.

What FPS are you using on the Phillips webcam? I read that there is data compression and artifacts at the higher fps so I dropped down to using 5 and 10fps but I think my faster fps avi. files look better. Kind of confusing.

Brad

#10 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Please excuse the off-top; cheapersleeper, GIMP is going to support 16-bit images in an official build soon, but for now you can try the free and multiplatform RawTherapee (histogram, curves, levels, denoising, sharpening, color opers etc.).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics