Photo

Astro-Tech 60mm f/7 ED triplet, (w/ Pics now!!!).

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

So... was the Federation Starship Fairie Queene also pink? :lol:

#27 teelgul

teelgul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Where do they say it's made or assembled ?

#28 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

No, actually. It was represented in luminous green on a text terminal, represented by the letter "F". The Enterprise was an "E", also green. This was awhile ago. The modem was the kind you plugged the phone headset into. 200 baud. Yee-haw, talk about fat-pipe. :grin:

- Jim

#29 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

They don't say. But I'm pretty sure it's made and assembled in Taiwan. Long Perng looks to be the manufacturer.

Regards,

Jim

#30 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Nice report Jim.

Good to see that the Achromat is doing alright. How old is your Carton btw?

#31 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I built it up out of parts sourced from Sheldon Faworski who used to be a US astro-dealer. The Carton tubes came wrapped in Japanese newspaper dated 1980, so that's the best guess I have as to the vintage of the Carton optics I used.

Regards,

Jim

#32 Cyclop_si

Cyclop_si

Viking 1

• Loc: Slovenia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Jim,

For strictly visual, which you would be your first choice, AT72 or AT60EDT?

Regards,

#33 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Tough choice. Neither of the two have great optics, to be honest, but that could also be "luck of the draw" with me coming up on the short end. Based on my experience, I'd probably say "neither", but assuming there are some really good quality examples of the AT72ED and AT60EDT out there (i.e., mine are not typical), I'd probably go with the AT72ED for visual unless I needed the slightly more compact dimensions (due to travel needs, mount needs, etc.) of the 60mm.

The 60mm did do a bit better, to be fair, late last night after it had acclimated a bit more and the slab cooled. I'm going to move it to the taller mount tonight. I haven't given up on it, but I think my earlier verdict - good but not great optics - was correct.

- Jim

#34 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Let me back up. The Carton is a meter-long OTA and was mounted on a Tak Teegul alt-az mount. I was observing on concrete. It was mid 70s today and mid-60s during the observations. The Carton's objective was roughly 6.5 feet above the ground for Vega, for reference. The AT60EDT was on a Nexstar SE. On Vega its objective was more like 4 feet off the pitch.

Hold on there, partner. What were the prevailing winds? Were these observations before or after Happy Hour? Red state or blue state? Boxers or briefs?

#35 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Windless. Tea-totalled (almost; white Rhone blend at lunchtime; 6oz.). True blue state. Commando.

- Jim

#36 teelgul

teelgul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

good but not great optics - was correct.

silly question jim as you said earlier that you have sold your FS60.but based on past experience where would you place the Fs60 optics compared to the AT60. just to know the best in the 60mm range.
cheers

#37 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Of the three FS-series scopes I've owned, the FS-60C was the least well-figured, but still probably an order of magnitude better than this scope (figure ~1/6 wave on my 60mm Tak).

I also doubt that the ED glass used is FPL-51. My 111mm FPL-51 triplet is considerably better color corrected visually. I'm thinking this one uses something else.

- Jim

#38 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Jim,

One thing I would be very interested in is your comparison of the AT R&P focuser to the Crayford used on the AT72ED.

Thanks for the good report so far.

Ed D

#39 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Looks a nice small scope, of course one wonders if its as good optics wise as say a TV60?,going by Jims assesment probably not, an interesting thing to ponder is that a lot of buyers can be(and not meaning Jim) seduced by a multi element design thinking that automaticaly you will end up with superb optics.Owning a ways back a triplet from one of the big names I found it gave colour free images as adverised however when cranking up the magnification even close to where it should perform it fell apart, a smaller two element ED I had would (yup I know its an overblown phrase) leave it in the proverbial dust,DA.

#40 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi Ed.

Re the focusers on the two AT scopes, last night I did have a chance to use a medium-large sized eyepiece (new 35mm Panoptic) in the AT60EDT. I have on many prior occasions used the 34mm Meade Series 5000 SWA on the AT72ED, which is a similarly medium-large eyepiece. Here are my impressions of the two.

I am still getting used to the new R&P. The lock knob seems to gradually add friction. When you get it very tight, the focus gets stiff and you can see the box-like assembly that surrounds the pinion flex and shift as you turn the knob. With the drag set so that the focus was buttery, the mid-large load would tend to slowly slip outward and defocus. With the tension set sufficient to hold the big load, the focuser motion was stiff in effort but still smooth in motion.

The Crayford on the AT72ED is a different beast. It is very smooth, but not that easy to adjust to carry the heavy load. When stiff enough to hold the eyepiece, focusing action is a little stictiony.

For visual use, both are decent focusers. I don't at this stage have a decided preference for one over the other.

- Jim

#41 astroneil

astroneil

Surveyor 1

• Loc: res publica caledoniae

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Dear Jim,

A most interesting shootout.

I have obtained similar results comparing an 80mm f/11 achromat to a high quality 76mm f/6.3 ED 'scope.

I doubt elevation has very much to do with your results, but of course, it's always good to test that.

Been doing some work on my own 60mm f/16.7 Skylight-Carton lately.
Details here;

http://neilenglish.n...erend-dawes-...

Regards,

Neil.

#42 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Jim,

Thanks for sharing your impressions on the two focusers. From what you found it seems either one would need to be set a bit firm to carry a heavy load, like a binoviewer. Also, the design of the Astro Tech R&P looks different from the ones I'm used to seeing.

Ed D

#43 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for a great report, Jim.... good job!

#44 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

It's odd that AT has quality optics in their larger scopes but judging from your excellent report the AT-60 leaves something to be desired in that reguard. On the plus side of the ledger at least it isn't pink. David

#45 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Any final verdict/more insight on the optical quality in the AT60EDT?

#46 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

I really like my AT72, yet haven't really used it for astro-visual as of yet (only asto-imaging). I have hooked up various combinations for imaging to test the train, yet this was under day light conditions on a distant tree. Perhaps someday I'll spend some eye piece time with it.

P.S. did use it with a solar filter to check out SOL a couple times.

#47 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Wonderful read Jim.
My TV60 will be coming sometime at the start of the year,I'm sure it will go up against my Skylight { If the breeze round here ever dies down and that's not a given in the north east of England }
I walked two miles last night with my 80mm to observe Jupiter in honour of the great Patrick Moore,I only managed about 20 seconds through a 32mm plossl,I just bring that as a finder.
When is your LOMO due?

#48 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

My AT72ED, too, is pretty middlin' in the optical quality department. FYI.

The AT60EDT requires a surprisingly long time (for a 60mm) to cool down. Image quality improves somewhat after about an hour (assuming a 20F temperature delta to be overcome), but even so, it's not in the same league as the AT111EDT I also have.

:shrug:

- Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics