Sandy

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Everyone on Eastern seaboard, stay safe the following few days. Hopefully this storm will not be as bad as Irene.
Too many storms are hitting NJ recently, I guess because I built an observatory last year. As soon as I did, we had Irene. Now Sandy. They say we have so many storms because of global warming, I have another theory :roflmao:
Here is picture of my Observatory. Guess what is the name of it? Irene. Last time it stood test of storm.
After storm was gone, I was imaging North America and Pelican. The skies were darker than usual because of power loss in nearby areas. While imaging I was hearing sirens and voices around but did not pay much attention. Next morning I came to know that my neighbors just few hundred feet were flooded and had to evacuate.

Alex

Attached Files

#2 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

SO what are ya sayin, when you open the roof you also open the clouds ??? lol
I can subscribe to that. Recently bought a sexy C8, two weeks ago bought an iPad 2 so I could use Sky Safari. Two days ago I bought Sky Safari Pro, today my 7 day forecast shows 7 days of rain !! Global warming my butt ....
!@#$% :lol:

#3 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'm looking at next weekend as possibly having some light-pollution free viewing. Moonrise on Sunday night is around 10:00 EST.

JimC

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Be safe everyone. This could be a nightmare situation.

#5 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

My observatory got blown down last year in a tornado. I though about putting it back up, but I did not. This year, we had the direcho! I am fairly certain I'd have been damaged again. Until I move into a more sheltered area - right now I am in a big clear valley - I have to do without a permanent installation! :(

Good luck everyone! If you are in a target area, I'd at least think about bringing the OTAs inside. GW

#6 bluestar

bluestar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland Eastern Shore

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I've been having some problems with rainwater seeping behind the vinyl siding and today was a good prompter to get that problem solved toot sweet with some garage door flashing installed before Sandy comes through. I'm here on Delmarva, supposedly right in the hurricane/storms path. Roof hurricane hooks are engaged...it's gonna be an interesting couple days.

BTW...in the pic...at the very point of the arrow might as well be a sign saying "BlueStar Observatory...You are HERE". :foreheadslap:

Attached Files

#7 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am sitting here in our new observatory, temp in the done 53.2 humidity 89% in the warm room 71.4 & 49.7%. the wind outside is steady at 32 mph with gusts up to 63 mph. and we have NO water getting into the domwe at all not even wind driven mist as far as I can tell. Here is a link to the project " http://www.cloudynig...at.php/Cat/0... "

#8 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Take care all who are in the path of Sandy.

#9 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Barometer down in the last hour from 28.23 to 28.10 winds are steady at 41 gusting to 70.4 and we are high and dry

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Glad everyone seems to be doing OK!

#11 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Good idea to take advantage of the weather Bob, make something good from this hurricane. That is one Outstanding observatory by the way !!
Getting pretty good wind and gusts with driving rain here, even being as far away from the coast as I am.

#12 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Blizzard with wet snow here in WVa. GW

#13 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Not so good here.
Just received email from the town:

State of Emergency within the Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills. Effective immediately no vehicles are permitted to drive on any roadway throughout the Township of Parsippany until further notice as a result of the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy. A major portion of the township has no power. Traffic signals throughout the township have ceased to function. Street lights along roadways are no longer operational. We have live power lines across streets, utility poles and trees across roads as well as some that have fallen into homes and businesses.

My losses so far are minor: one ridge cap out of two on observatory roof was blown away. Not a big deal - it needed some work anyways. Also a fir went down. Thankfully it just fallen onto the middle of lawn without making any damage.
According to forecast wind speeds should start reducing soon.

Alex

#14 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Good luck everyone! My obs has survived three hurricanes so far and it's just a home made 8X8 rolloff.

David

#15 David81

David81

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

As of this morning, my nearly finished ROR obs still has a roof on it :). I just finished the metal roofing on Thursday and finished the 300' trench for electric just before the rain started on Friday.

Thankfully, the only water infiltration seems to be the main door which is on the north side of the building with little to no shelter. I see a storm door in my future. Normally nothing would be coming in, but with the powerful wind and driving rain, it just can't keep it all out.

#16 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hope everybody is safe!

#17 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Power came back on during the night.... (34 hours after it went out...
Have my internet back BUT the land line telephones are still non functional..
Neighbors tree is laying on the roof of one of my garages ..but not a lot of damage..(at least that I can see ..
Observatory held up like a champ..not a drop of water got inside..
Still have some water in the basement.but now that the sump pump is back in operation we should have that problem taken care of this morning...

Bob G.

#18 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Glad everyone here suffered little or no damage! Something of this calibur certainly makes us stop & be appreciative of what we have.

#19 Lenbo

Lenbo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cochranville, Pa.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

The eye of the storm passed a little south of us here in SE Pa. Lots of rain (8 inches)and some pretty intense wind. A few trees down around us but ours were OK. Lost a couple last year in a storm. I have some precut strips of plywood and I screw them to the roof and top plateboards to reinforce the normal tie downs. Covered up the computer, monitor, mount and scopes with plastic just in case. Brought the cameras inside. I screwed a strip of plywood across the top of the double doors to keep blowing rain out. Worked pretty good. The pad was wet just inside the door but that was it. Really weird thing is we never lost power. Couldn't believe it but I'm not complaining. We often lose power during thunderstorms. Hope everyone got though safely. Len

#20 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

all fine here. we just got power back. The new observatory is 100% fine

#21 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Had a fair amount of snow blow in under the ROR--I have to work on a fix for that_but everything had covers on so no problems. We have 12" of snow so I cleared the roof off so I can open it next clear night. Power never went off (major miracle) but many others not so lucky. Things are still bad in many parts of WV.

#22 Mr_T

Mr_T

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Well My Obs survived actually 2 of them That I built using the the Backyard Obs plans my own and the clubs that we just built. The Winds reached to 80miles and blew the roof of one of the local buildings and hundreds of trees fell after a week we got our power back thanks to the many hundreds of power Guys working there Butts off. Scary how much we depend on Power and Gasoline

Les

#23 Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Just want to say that my BYO built ROR came through Sandy without a scratch or a leak. I just got off of National Guard Duty here and had my first opportunity to check for damage. We had substantial tree damage all around our area which would be indicative of the wind force. That observatory is built like a tank.

Jerry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics