12 replies to this topic

#1 luigis

luigis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

I'd like to try h-alpha solar imaging with my DSLRs. I own a 5'' Mak-Cass and an SV80ED refractor. I'm not sure if it is best to buy a filter for one of my scopes (which scope? which filter?) or a dedicated solar scope.

I appreciate your recomendations and ideas!

Luigi

#2 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

For H-alpha solar imaging you need a solar H-alpha scope - like a Lunt 35 or Coronado PST (or bigger). Also note that DLSR isn't the best thing for imaging with such scopes.

With existing scopes you can use Baader AstroSolar for white light imaging.

#3 luigis

luigis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thank you, white light is boring so I was looking for H-alpha. I don't know if it's possible to fit an h-alpha filter or not to one of my scopes :-) I guess not?

Which one would you recommend me from Coronado or Lunt? Any pointers.

About the DSLR: I have a Canon T2i (550D) that has a 640x480 60fps video mode so I can use it as a planetary camera (I guess).

Thanks!

#4 aaube

aaube

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

I do not know if it is possible but a 5 inch ha filter would probably cost way more than a dedicated solar scope.
As for the DSLR, there's a very good book on this very subject by Jerry Lodriguss ; "A Guide to DSLR Planetary Imaging".

Sincerely,

Alain

#5 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Get at least a bf10 for imaging purposes. I would say if your going DSLR, then a Lunts more traditional focuser would be better then the Coronados Helical. I have the Coronado 60, but use webcam style imagers and it works just fine for it.

John

#6 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Luigi,

The best recommendation can be given if we will know the budget for such a project.

For now (no info about a budget), I believe, that the best solution will be a 100mm ( 0,7A) solar telescope. 100mm is large enough aperture to give you the possibility to take fantastically detailed photos of both prominences and surface features. You will also be able to make movies of prominences eruptions, solar flares, rapid changes in active regions.

35mm and 40mm dedicated solar telescopes are too small and can give you only general views.

The larger the aperture, the better for solar imaging and visual observing and the more interesting will be your adventure with solar observing. 100mm and larger will give you the possibility to have interesting observing sessions even during minimum of the solar activity. A period of the minimum solar activity is quite a bit longer, than a period of the maximum activity.
35mm and 40mm scopes are almost waste of time and money during solar minimum.

Valery.

#7 luigis

luigis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Luigi,

The best recommendation can be given if we will know the budget for such a project.

For now (no info about a budget), I believe, that the best solution will be a 100mm ( 0,7A) solar telescope. 100mm is large enough aperture to give you the possibility to take fantastically detailed photos of both prominences and surface features. You will also be able to make movies of prominences eruptions, solar flares, rapid changes in active regions.

35mm and 40mm dedicated solar telescopes are too small and can give you only general views.

The larger the aperture, the better for solar imaging and visual observing and the more interesting will be your adventure with solar observing. 100mm and larger will give you the possibility to have interesting observing sessions even during minimum of the solar activity. A period of the minimum solar activity is quite a bit longer, than a period of the maximum activity.
35mm and 40mm scopes are almost waste of time and money during solar minimum.

Valery.

Thank you Valery,
It seems the good scopes for imaging are a little outside my budget so maybe I'll have to wait.

#8 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

You would be surprised what you can do on a budget. I had a single stack lunt 60 with a tilt tuner, and a DMK21 and I was very pleased with the results. Here are some samples from that scope combo. It had the small, b600 blocking filter too. I really regret getting rid of that setup.

Posted Image

#9 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thank you Valery,
It seems the good scopes for imaging are a little outside my budget so maybe I'll have to wait.

You can sell all your astro things which are not in constant use to help to finance a new scope/filter.

And better to wait and then buy the scope you will not regtet about it's too small size. Then, be sure, the cameras will be much better and significantly cheaper than right now. Buy the filter/scope first, because they always will rise in price. And with cameras/computers - directly opposite.

#10 luigis

luigis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

You would be surprised what you can do on a budget. I had a single stack lunt 60 with a tilt tuner, and a DMK21 and I was very pleased with the results. Here are some samples from that scope combo. It had the small, b600 blocking filter too. I really regret getting rid of that setup.

Posted Image

And now I'm seriously confused!

#11 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

And now I'm seriously confused!

Don't be confused. I can show you the photos with 115mm aperture. While these confused you pictures are fine for 60mm aperture, they still can't be even distantly compared with pictures possible with 115mm aperture. And 100mm is very close to 115mm, especially in good south climate.

So, believe me, aperture rules without any questions! And your pleasure will be directly proportional to the results you can obtain and what you can see visually.

#12 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Certainly won't argue that aperture rules, but larger aperture can be prohibitively expensive. Guess it's all in personal taste, as 60mm provided plenty good results for me.

#13 luigis

luigis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

You've been a great help so far.

I was happy about the thrill of starting solar photography but I think I'm not ready yet.

I'm afraid a 60mm won't deliver the images I would like to produce and the budget is not enough for a larger aperture scope.

I can always do some white light images....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics