Astronomics Shipping the New Delos

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I received my Delos 8 and 14 today from Astronomics. I now own the Delos 6, 8, 10, and 14. I will post when I have a chance to try them out.

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

I am interested in some of the Delos eyepieces. Do you have any other TV eyepieces that you can compare them to, like the Panoptics?

Bill

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Congrats Gene. Your excitement really comes through in your post. I hope you enjoy them and the views are fantastic.

#4 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Congrats on the new Delos EP's, I have the Delos 6mm and am loving it, very easy & comfy on the eyes for extended viewing & tack sharp up to the edge.

Best,

#5 jeff heck

jeff heck

Apollo

• Loc: stl,mo.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Clean living pays off again, right, Gene? I am awaiting the arrival of a 4.5D myself. :praying:

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm going to get the 12 Delos before the sale is over. Ever so useful and usable in my IM-715, C-9.25, WO ZS-110 and Lunt 60. Astronomics gives you the CN discount on top of the TV sale. I have compared my 17.3 Delos to my 15 and 24 Pan. Both very sharp but the Delos has better contrast and a flat field. On that subject the 15 Pan has much less pincusion than the 24 Pan. David

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

I am interested in some of the Delos eyepieces. Do you have any other TV eyepieces that you can compare them to, like the Panoptics? Bill

Awhile back I did a shoot out on Jupiter with a 6mm Delos, 6mm Radian, and 12mm Nagler coupled with a 2X Powermate. This was done using a 12.5 inch, F5 Portaball. The Delos provided the sharpest on and off axis views. I like making these A B comparisons viewing a major planet, globular, and galaxies/nebula. The most helpful for me are the major planets--Jupiter and Saturn. The differences in on axis images are subtle and often minor. Its sort of visiting Best Buy and seeing 30 High Def televisions against the wall. They all have pretty good images, but there is always one or two that stand out. I like the 20mm of eye relief of the Delos line, and the 72 degrees of AFOV is a nice place to be. It is less than the Nagler, but a nice bump up to the Radian line the Delos replaced. Most important, the images a Delos produces are tack sharp. Here is a posting I made awhile back. I now want to compare the Delos I own to some Naglers and other eyepieces.
http://www.cloudynig...at.php?Cat=0...

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Now maybe we can get some Delos/LVW comparisons? You often see Delos/XW or Delos/ES 68 but I don't recall seeing a Delos/LVW comparison yet. Now that more focal lengths are coming out, it might help me decide between the 17mm LVW or 17.3mm Delos. Of course the expectation would be that the Delos would win, at $100 higher price. But I am curious as to how subtle the victory would be and if it justifies the price tag.

#9 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Of course the expectation would be that the Delos would win, at $100 higher price.

Maybe, maybe not. Most of my viewing friends don't invest in high end eyepieces, so I can't make these kind of direct compassion. I can't afford to buy a bunch just to try out. True, they can be sold, but at a loss and hassle. Once I get comfortable with an eyepiece line, I tend to stick with it. I love the Delos line in all respects. I have a 5mm Pentax XO on order and I am looking forward to trying it out. I may pick up a Brandon in the 6-9 mm range just to answer the question of how they perform, especially on planetary detail, compared to the Delos. Lastly, I have learned to trust my own eyes. I believe I can see subtle differences in detail quite well, and have learned to base my opinions on eyepieces in what I see through them.

#10 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Congrats Gene--a nice bunch of eyepieces you've got there.

--I thought Astronomics had sold out of the 14, but they're filling my order today! yay! I've been waiting for this eyepiece for quite a while now...

-geo

geo

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I love the Delos line in all respects. I have a 5mm Pentax XO on order and I am looking forward to trying it out. I may pick up a Brandon in the 6-9 mm range just to answer the question of how they perform, especially on planetary detail, compared to the Delos. Lastly, I have learned to trust my own eyes. I believe I can see subtle differences in detail quite well, and have learned to base my opinions on eyepieces in what I see through them.

I wrote about the Delos/Brandon comparison here, post #5179553 back on April 18th.

It's easy to get excited about a piece of equipment after a great night. However all these months later I am still very enthusiastic about the Delos, it is the eyepiece I have been waiting on for years. That being said, you'll almost certainly get a slight improvement in views with a quality ortho such as a Brandon. Delos is of course more versatile due to it's field, so if you are building out an eyepiece collection getting them first makes sense. However, the cost of Brandons is lower, so adding them to the mix is easier. Which you get first depends upon your primary observing interest but in the end the result is the same - you're under-equipped if you don't have both.

#12 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've got a 8 LVW and a 17.3 Delos. Using various barlows-Powermates I can get the same powers in my WO ZS-110. I've compared them on Jupiter, the Moon, M42-M43, and M35 with very good conditions. The LVW is a little warmer toned which can be an advantage on Jupiter. It's not that the LVW shows more on it but when using the Delos as with my XWs the detail blurs out more with less than steady air. On the Moon and larger DSOs the Delos's and XW's FOV gives them an advantage over the LVW but the view in the Vixen is very sharp and immersive in it's own way. Transmission doesn't seem lower with my recent vintage LVW. The Delos has less lateral color than the LVW but the Vixen's is pretty minimal to start with. For me the LVW is easier to use than the Delos or XWs but I find them comfortable as well. At this point I haven't had the LVW long enough to say if it's image quality is as good as the Delos and XWs but on the other hand I can't say it's not. David

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thanks dscarpa, good to see that the LVW can hold its own against the Delos, other than having a slightly smaller field of view (as advertised). Lateral color is supposed to be the weakness of the LVW (as opposed to FC for Pentax or pincushion for Panoptic, etc.). But I agree the lateral color in LVW's isn't bothersome. As time goes on it will be interesting to see what the weakness of the Delos is, or if they finally figured out how to make widefield eyepieces without any significant distortions. For me, having some LVW's already, it probably makes more sense to stick with LVW for the 17mm to have a consistent, parfocal set and save some bucks. Interestingly from what I have heard, not all the Delos are parfocal with each other.

#14 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

My 17.3 Delos isn't parfocal with any of my many other TV eyepieces, a collection which doesn't incude but soon will another Delos. I forgot to mention the Delos does show a ring of fire effect similar to but less than my 13 Ethos on the Moon. I don't find it to be an issue with either eyepiece. Last night I was using my 17.3 Delos with a 5X Powermate in my WO ZS-110 for 230X-240X on the Moon and Jupiter with very good conditions. Truly excellent performance on both. David

#15 Ava

Ava

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have both the 8mm LVW and a Delos 10mm. Now, I know they are not the same focal length but I can still share some impressions on the views through them using my 80mm APO, where the magnification difference is slight, 60x vs 48x.

They are both very comfortable. The LVW may be slightly easier to look through but the eye cup is just a little to high to be optimal for my face which makes me prefer the Delos with its adjustable eye guard.

The difference in AFOV feels much larger than what you'd think from the stated 65 vs 72. I have no doubt the numbers are right but the Delos AFOV feels expansive while the LVW feels slightly constricted.

They are both very very sharp.

There is a little lateral color in the LVW.

The LVW has an ever so slightly warmer tone to it. Taken to extremes I'd describe it as dark orange tint while the Delos is pure white. Of course the real difference is subtle, that is just how I would describe the hues.

I feel the LVW has a darker image. Now this last part is problematic of course, because of the difference in focal length and hence in magnification. In a sense, the view should be darker because of the added magnification but hear me out. When I compare the views on open clusters, the fainter stars are just a little harder to see in the LVW. Since I observe I light polluted skies, and the magnifications are still rather low, I would think the opposite should be true, the added magnification should help me in these circumstances but it does not in this case. This perception of a darker image is one I haven't been able to shake trough many observation sessions but given the differing focal lengths you'll have to take it with a grain of salt. Still, that is my impression.

Over all I prefer viewing through the Delos.

I actually think the physical design of the LVW is better from a handling perspective, it has a nice solid feel and is dual barreled, in a good way (not like the non-SX Ethos where the 1.25" barrel is basically unusable but like the Hyperions).

In conclusion, they are both excellent eyepieces. The perceived darker image is the only reason I'm seriously considering if I should get the 8mm Delos. The other differences make me want an 8mm Delos but this part is what might actually make me buy one to compare.

I hope these observations can be of help to those of you wondering about the differences between the two eyepiece lines.

#16 jeff heck

jeff heck

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

The 4.5D with eyecup down...

Attached Files

#17 jeff heck

jeff heck

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

And eyecup up...

Attached Files

#18 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

I've got 3 T6s and the difference in brightness on DSOs between them and my Delos, XWs, WO UWAN and Ethos is not subtle with the latter being the clear winners. It's pretty much ruined DSO viewing with the T6s in my WO ZS-110 for me. I use the LVW 8 back to back with my 7 and 10 XWs-which are as good as anything of I've got transmission and for that matter everything eles wise-in my ZS on DSOs. The LVW definately holds it's own on all accounts. I like having some variation in tone with my eyepieces. Blue stars seem to pop more in the XWs and Delos while red do the same in the LVW. Given good conditions I don't have a hard time seeing the little NGC cluster that's next to M35 with the LVW in my ZS for 95X from the my suburban location. David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics