• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NickK-UK

NickK-UK

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

First off - this isn't pretty - this is EA astronomy with a CCD and long exposures.

Full moon acting as grim reaper, no noise reduction, no flats (except PI DBE) as my panel cable broke, visual polar alignment (hence the dodgy stars), located by star hopping using binos+vixen A80Mf as locator scope.. first time out since may in 0 degC.. all for finding a 8.1' x 3.6' polar ring galaxy called ngc660. It's mag 10.

3x 10 minute subs. 1340mm at f/12 with a 4" scope. Pentax+TV 2x+383L.

Here's a crop at native resolution:

Attached Files

#2 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

"Electronically assisted (read- non vid cam)"

Im not sure what that means?

#3 NickK-UK

NickK-UK

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

EA is more than just cams - to me it's bringing visuals with minimal processing - almost realtime (actually you can do the astronomy whilst capturing the next target).

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi Nick: I'm not sure 30 minutes is "near real time". I get where you are going - using what you have and viewing the image created without much processing but NGC 660 may have been a bridge too far for near real time observing. On a bright moonlit night objects like planetary nebulae and open clusters may be better targets - shorter exposures and more detail seen in those shorter exposures.

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi Nick - a very tough 1st target in NGC 660 for a 4" OG :o Suggest you try a FR rather than a Barlow to keep target 'bright' if small with a much briefer exposure to satisfy V&EAA general expectations of an image from a single exposure - tweeking focus a little will help too. Once the image is captured the image can be rescaled eg zoomed if the detail is there ;) good luck.

ps: I too use a CCD in brief exposures [typically 20s-5m] for my 'viewing' but have the advantage of largish scope aperture thus with 5s worth in M82 below :rainbow:

Posted Image

#6 NickK-UK

NickK-UK

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

True- the titan at f/6.3 is probably better.

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Yes - f/6.3 is nearly x4 'faster' than f/12 and exposures that briefer to 'conform' :grin: BTW - in case you hadn't noticed the forum is dominated by Mallincam users and followers and inevitably any reference to other gear [within the terms of V&EAA] could be ignored no matter how well it performs :crazy:

#8 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yes - f/6.3 is nearly x4 'faster' than f/12 and exposures that briefer to 'conform' :grin: BTW - in case you hadn't noticed the forum is dominated by Mallincam users and followers and inevitably any reference to other gear [within the terms of V&EAA] could be ignored no matter
how well it performs :crazy:

I thought about responding defensively but I will leave that agenda up to you Maurice.

#9 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Marion, Ohio

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

:john:

#10 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sarasota, FL

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

As someone with a horse in both races (Mallincam AND Atik Titan here) I would be interested in seeing how the Atik performs at single exposures and faster f/ratios. Just because I'm a Mallincam user doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing what other gear can do. I've long admired your work; your shots influenced my own interest in applying my non-Mallincam gear in that manner, so you do have a big impact on us Mallincam users even if you don't always see it.

Apologies to all if this seems like another Mallincam vs not-Mallincam post as that's not how I meant it. More like, "can't we all get along?"

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics