4 replies to this topic

#1 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hi everyone,
I just started out with astrophotography. After some thought, I decided to try using film. At first, i tried using color film, but I couldn't get good results due to light pollution. I then decided to try hypering some Tech Pan, and using a red filter to help with the light pollution. So far, I have loaded and hypered a few short rolls, took a few short exposures, and developed them in my grandfather's darkroom. The photo below is a 5 minute exposure, and the film was developed in D-19 for 10 minutes, and printed on Ilford multigrade paper. Critiques and feedback are welcome.

Clear Skies,
Noah

Attached Files

#2 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Noah - this is a wonderful start. Having access to a darkroom and equipment is a huge bonus. Treasure it and work on your skills. There are also books you can read or internet search for shooting with film. Covington's Astrophotography for the Amateur. Robert Reeves - Wide Field Astrophotography. Wallis & Provin A Manual of advanced celestial photography.

The Wallis & Provin book would probably be the best of the bunch as it deals with B&W films - darkroom techniques - Hypering film - a complete manual so to speak.

Good decision on using film. We have many here with years of experience as well regarding the above items. Ask away and welcome.

igor

#3 Michal1

Michal1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Noah, what did you used for hypering - forming gas, pure hydrogen, ...? I'm getting interested in hypering, too.

#4 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

I used 8% hydrogen forming gas. This can be mixed by companies that supply gas. I think welding companies might supply it too. I hyper for 72 hours at 50 degrees Celsius.

Noah

#5 Giorgos

Giorgos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Better scan the negative not the print from it. Its difficult to justify from a scanned print.Welcome to the forum!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics