CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2010 Huge Saturn Storm Keeps Surprising Scientists

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason H.

Jason H.

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Huge Saturn Storm Keeps Surprising Scientists

http://news.yahoo.co...-surprising-...

Jason W. Higley

(Saturn below/attached with storm by me, Feb. 2011, afocal Canon A590 via Criterion RV-8)

Attached Files

#2 Jason H.

Jason H.

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

For a little better clarity (than the above animation), here's a single frame from that run at 75% of original and cropped. Fascinating that they're publishing new science based on that storm that raises even more questions; Saturn still comes up with fun mysterious facets (I'm still amazed by the poles!) Can't wait 'til the next biggie storm, 30 years per the article? :)

Jason W. Higley

Attached Files

#3 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

It is pretty cool stuff. I should look this up before posting but I would swear that the next big storm wasn't actually due until 2019 or so. That raises the question of: was this the 30 year cycle storm and it came early for some reason? Or was this a one-off oddity and the usual 30 year storm is still forthcoming?

#4 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

As a lifetime visual observer, I was stunned to finally get to see a Saturn storm and to have it be the Serpent Storm of the ages was bonus! So easy in a 6" scope...great observations. Another to come in 2019 woud be great!

#5 Jason H.

Jason H.

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Another article on S&T

Saturn’s Frankenstorm: The Aftermath

http://www.skyandtel...log/newsblog...

Regards, Jason W. Higley

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics