Meade Quality Control on LX90

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 sgorton99

sgorton99

Soyuz

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I love my vintage LX90 EMC - have you considered buying used from a trusted astronomy person? These pop up from time to time and are offered at good discounts. Other than that, I would return it and buy a Celestron CPC which has a rebate right now.

#27 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

I went through 3 of them until I decided to fix the forth lx200 ACF 10 they sent me myself... 1-2 scopes had the very same problems you speak of, it looked used and in dirty condition.. After the third scope, I was in a state of shock... I could not believe how bad Meade was out of control, there customer service rep assured me that each and every scope would be checked before it left the factory, they never were.. The forth one came with no grease on the Dec gears and housing, but the optics looked great. Installing the Peterson clutch kit fixed the problem, but if I had to do it again, I would have returned it. When I finial used the scope I kept, the collimation was off and goto’s were off as well, after days of playing with it, I managed to get it working ok, but have not compared the views to any other Meade, no one in my club has a LX200. Now I know why..

#28 swansong

swansong

Lift Off

• Loc: Los Angeles,CA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

I want to add that also found a significant defect in my Made in Mexico LXD75 SC8-ACF (basically same optics and design as 8" LX90, no mirror lock). The front and rear cell dovetail holes are grossly misaligned, both top and bottom mounting holes. Someone else pointed this out here:

http://www.cloudynig...1583888/page...

I found out I have the exact same problem when I tried to mount a ADM vixen dovetail on top for a guidescope, it's like 10degrees askew and won't sit flat. ARGHH. All three pairs of the top mounting holes are off by 1/2" or so from each other, you'd think they could have at least used a straightedge, or an eyeball. Even though it's out of warranty I tried calling Meade support for advice or at least sympathy, but was rebuffed and told "You can just take it anywhere else to have someone fix it, we can't help you since it's out of production." It's just drilling holes, you don't need a precision jig or special equipment, sheesh. So frustrating they can't even own up to such a major flaw in their assembly. The ACF optics seem ok to me (I upgraded to a Peterson smooth focuser), so faced with having to go through the hassle of selling it at a major loss, I think I'm gonna try to drill and tap some new 8-32 holes myself. I have a few ideas to get the holes orthogonal to the OTA optical axis, if my geometry courses served me well. I will try to tape off the front half of the inside tube and be VERY judicious about removing and dust and shavings, I know this is a serious risk though. Has anyone else tried this?

Last point, I had spotty gotos occasionally but chalked this up to the mount, but I realized that the bottom dovetail mount is also barely aligned to the OTA axis, so that's why my polar alignment always sucks. ARGHHH. On the bottom mount, 3 of the four screws are not even parallel to each other on each cell, and the 4th is rubbing against the radius block mounting hole yet was forced in tightly anyway. When I removed this lower dovetail I saw a hidden extra misdrilled hole completely out of place from the others, so they tried to cover it up. You would think someone would know better, these are not complicated pieces of machinery, and QC totally misses this kind of thing.

Sigh.

#29 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

When transferring production from one site to another, it is amazing what issues will surface that had never been a problem before. An example of this which was really gross was when the production site of some bolts was changed. What was once obvious at one site was not considered at the other. The bolts returned with all the markings of a hardened bolt, but not knowing what the markings meant they were made with a very soft metal, but they did look right. I am not using this example to excuse Meade and any quality issues, just wanted to point out how difficult this transfer can be.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics