14 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to sketching...
I'm just getting back into Astronomy, after a 3 year hiatus. I've decided to stay away from any form of photography this time; and to stick with astro-sketching only.
I live in a fairly urban area, with heavy light pollution.
My current optics are a Bushnell 5" Dob and a pair of Barska 15x70's with appropriate tripod, and an OIII filter (Zhumell brand-poor performance).
After several weeks of (the usual) studying & researching what my next instrument will be: I've narrowed it down (generally) to either:
A.) 25x100 binocs w/ proper tripod -or- B.)An 8 or 10" Dobsonian w/ some additional Nebula filters.

The Binocs I'm considering all have threaded EPs, so I do plan to (eventually) add light pollution filters to the kit (in the future)
I'd appreciate any opinions, from you experienced Sketchers...

Thanks very much!
Clear skies,
-Al

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Good idea to get back into astronomy and sketching. My advise: you don't need a new scope for sketching. Start to observe all the bright (and big) objects with your Bushnell or Barska.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Jef is correct of course. You can also sketch without any optical aide at all. Star patterns, Moon, planets at night make for good targets.

Frank :)

#4 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hi, Al ! :)

Between the two choices you've given, i'd definitely go for the 8" or 10" Dob. With it, you can always change the eyepiece and increase the magnification - not so with 25x100 binos. Come to think of it, i don't think i ever made any sketches at all while using my own big binos (22x100's). But i'm always sketching while using my 16" Lightbridge.

Best of luck to you, no matter what you decide to get. :grin:

#5 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks to All - It had just recently occurred to me, that I actually already have the optics to begin sketching. Which is great.
I've recently re-located the scope, binocs/tripod, etc. to my Sister-in-law's (rental) home - Which has a decent backyard, all to myself (the reason for me getting back into the Hobby).
And a special thanks to Carol, for encouraging me to get a new instrument! Yay! LOL
BTW, this is the scope that I've been looking at:
http://www.opticsmar...d10-dobsonia... --- It comes with so many goodies, that it's hard for me to resist :)

Clear skies,
-Al

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Well, do you have a specific target you might like to sketch? I do planets using a longer FL CAT, some folks have enough talent and patients to sketch the moon, others enjoy deep sky sketching. Your 25x100 Binos would be great for wide field sketching. A Dob might be good all around scope. Some aperture would be nice for deep sky, too. So, I'd recommend kind of knowing your preferred subject and maybe tailoring your scope purchase to your interests and observing conditions.

#7 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Oh yes, sorry - I should've mentioned: I am really only interested in DSO's and perhaps some open clusters.
But again, mostly Galaxies and Nebulas. I'm glad I asked, I can see things more clearly now (no pun intended) - I realize that the large Dob would be the best choice; In terms of what would work best for me.

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

:goodjob:

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I think OPT makes an 8" f/9 truss dob. Thats where I go.

Pete

#10 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

And a special thanks to Carol, for encouraging me to get a new instrument! Yay! LOL

No problem, Al - if there's one thing i've learned at CN,
it's how to help others spend their money. :lol:
Have fun with your new scope! :grin:

#11 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Al,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and welcome back to this awesome hobby. Please post your sketches here. We would love to see them.

Jason

#12 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks again, All! I ordered the (Apertura)8" Dobsonian
(The deluxe / Tweaker's Dream Package). I would've got the 10", but it wouldn't fit in the space I have planned for it. Well, I have owned an 8" Dob (many years ago); but I have a feeling that this will be a nice one. And, hopefully with really good optics. My old one was an Orion.
Yes, I will be sure to post my first (decent) sketches!
I've successfully resisted the temptation to fool around with Astrophotography again :) And, I know that I've made the best choice. Scope should be here next week.

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Now get some paper and pencil, you're set.

#14 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

If it would make you feel better, I can sell you some paper and pencil for what a CCD camera would be.... just kidding!!! :lol:

Sounds like you are well on your way... 8" is plenty! My favorite scope is the 8" I built (and ground and polished the mirror). *Plenty* to sketch with an 8".

Enjoy!

Jason

#15 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

That's great news! :grin: Here's hoping you'll have clear skies when it gets there.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics