•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focusing Through Deep Red Filter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Does anyone have any tips on focusing though a deep red filter (Wratten #29)? I couldn't even see the brightest stars through it. All I could see to focus on was the moon. I know I can't focus without the filter and then put it on, because then the focus will change. Also, I am using a fast achromatic refractor, so the deep red may come into focus at a different point than the other colors. What should I do?

#2 Michal1

Michal1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Noah, focusing on the camera's focusing screen isn't recommended even without any filter. There are many methods that are more convenient here, see e.g.:
http://www.astropix....CUS/METHODS.HTM
I suggest making a parfocalized eyepiece (described in the link). Once you have an eyepiece parfocalized with the camera + filter, you can use it to focus on a star. I use the combination of a parfocal eyepiece and a Hartmann mask. If you found something unclear, don't hesitate to ask.

#3 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the reply,
I would use a parfocalized eyepiece, etc. But the problem is that my setup is based on 2 inch accessories, such as a 2" off axis guider, 2" adapters, 2" filters, etc. (1.25" adapters gave me severe vignetting). I don't currently have any 2" eyepieces, and from my experience, they are pretty expensive.

#4 Michal1

Michal1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

My parfocal eyepiece is 0.75" ;) (image). I found a paper tube that firmly holds the eyepiece and tightly fits to a film container. I have to focus with a 2" to 1.25" adapter, then unscrew it and mount the camera instead of it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics