Halloween II - Moonrise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Looks like there will be a big 'ol Moon rising just at the right time on Halloween this year. I'm putting a telescope out in the driveway again this year, though I haven't decided on which one.

Weather permitting, of course.

Anyone else?

#2 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

I am thinking of putting out my 8 inch Dob to view the Moon also. I have done Jupiter in Halloween in the Past, but Jupiter won't be up 'till later on this year. People are always thrilled with seeing the Moon.
David

#3 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Moonrise isn't until 7:56pm local time on Halloween this year, and figure another hour to get it up above the murky horizon to make it watchable thru a scope - and coupled with it being a school day, most all the kids trick-or-treating are done by then :( My front yard is a little too bright for DSO's to be impressive, so I'm skipping setting up a scope this year.

#4 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Be devilish and put a red filter on the eyepiece.

#5 telescopemullet

telescopemullet

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

I am going to set up with my 6" f15 and show the double cluster....

#6 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'll be out. Will be sharing colored double stars, and a few equally bright white ones (those are EYES looking at you)

#7 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Well, in our part of town only a few chunks of the Summer Triangle were clear of Halloween special clouds. A director couldn't have ordered a spookier sky in our area. I went to Albireo by blind luck and some slewing. It ended up being a big hit, with about 200 kids and adults, about 10% saying they come by every year to see what I'm showing. Cassiopeia finally peeked out, but I stayed where I was. Attrocious polar alignment with no stars to use, but the drift was manageable. Great fun was had by all.

#8 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

I hope y'all had a great time showing stuff with your scopes - Halloween seemed a little busier this year for us, closer to 300 kids - we'd went with a 'traditional' pumpkin deco, and had quite a few queries about why no telescope this year ("planets and moon aren't up yet!"). I'd gotten a little curious, and as the night wound down, decided to bring out a 8" dob to the driveway (something I've never done, seeing the amount of street and exterior house lights around) - and I'll be darn - NGC457 owl/airplane/ET/Wall-E stood out quite well even with all the light on! (double cluster wasn't too bad either) Lesson learned here, don't say it can be seen until it's tried!

It looks like Venus will be low in the sky for next year's Halloween, but one thing for sure I'll be planning it around bring a scope out on 457 and Alberio if the weather is just as good as it was today.

#9 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

I set up the CPC1100 with a tub of candy beside it. Had maybe 60 kids with accompanying adults and we did Almach, M13, NGC869, Albireo and the double-double. Two men and a woman who had passed by with kids came back alone and we woudn up having an impromptu star/equipment party in the front yard until nearly 10.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics