• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KirtErie

KirtErie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alpena, MI

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Greetings: I bought a CPC 800 Deluxe HD in the beginning of October. It performs great, but the altitude axis squeals pretty loudly when the clutch is loosened enough to easily move the OTA manually. Celestron actually sent me an entirely new replacement telescope after I returned the original (they paid shipping). Upon unpacking the replacement today, the first thing I did was rotate the OTA about the altitude axis and, incredibly, it had the same squeal. I had etched the metal base of the one I returned with my initials, so I know it's a different telescope. The azimuth axis does not exhibit the squeal. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

#2 KirtErie

KirtErie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Greetings:

Celestron graciously replaced my original telescope with another new one and it has the exact same squeal. It is not the same telescope that I returned because I had etched my initials on the bottom of the original. This 35-second video demonstrates the squeal, which the Celestron agent viewed and determined it was OK. I really like this telescope otherwise, and maybe I expect too much. Has anyone else noticed the squeal? Do you accept Celestron's claim that this is normal?

http://www.youtube.c...k&feature=sh...

#3 aamilo

aamilo

Explorer 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Let me get this right.... If you loosen it fully there is NO squeak, but if the clutch is slightly tight then there is a squeak?

I would think that this is normal. The clutch has friction material on it and that material is partially grabbing which is causing the squeak. That may go away it time as the clutch seats in but I don't see it was an issue unless my understanding above is incorrect.

#4 KirtErie

KirtErie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Yes, when fully loose there is no noise at all, but when tightened so that it takes a little force to move it, the squeal occurs. The clutch can be torqued down significantly so even with a little grease between the plates the OTA would be quite immobile. It just seems odd to me that a top-of-the-line telescope would squeal under any circumstances. Having been around a number of other telescopes of various makes and models, I have never heard this kind of noise from a mount (other than gear drive noises, which this is not). Thanks for your reply; I appreciate the feedback.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Sounds normal, or at least not a problem to me. How often do you do this anyway?

#6 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

The sound means your friction disk is nice and clean and functioning as it should.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics