CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ganymede 30 Oct 2012 from Arizona in good seeing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Seeing was as good as I've had for some time so I decided to give Ganymede her due. When I process the Jupiter images from this morning I'll find out how good the seeing really was. But Ganymede appeared to be a small planet a good fraction of the time. Even so I did not trust focussing on the moon so I focussed on Jupiter and simply slewed over to 'right field' and caught this.

I used AS!2 3X drizzle and then further resized up to 5X. A simple wavelet scheme was used with no deconvolution, its difficult to bring much more out this I believe.

Some of what is shown on the disk appears to be real. Cannot claim there may not be some seeing or drizzling artifacts mixed in there.

Captured with a Flea3 using FireCapture 2.1.

Comments or questions welcome. Thanks for looking!

Glenn

Attached Files

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Cosmos

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Excelent Glenn..! :waytogo:

I'm with you re trying the sharpest Jovian focus for Gallilean Moons targetting.....I can be very pedantic re focus but I don't think I'd be game to try focusing on Ganymede itself! :question: :shocked:

#3 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

Great catch.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Hubble

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Very nice.

I saw Galilee and Osiris visually in the C14 when Osiris was a bit in from the limb, so I know that they are easily in reach of the C14, but the image looks a bit over-exposed, so maybe these features are being washed out some???

This is not intended to be critical at all, but usually CCD images do better than I can visually, and I saw these features with a little more resolution, so maybe some processing work would help them look a bit better defined???

Great image though. I am seeing people pay more attention to the Jovian moons, and since these are targets I like to observer visually (when conditions allow) and I like having them for reference to confirm visual sightings...

Thanks for posting.

#5 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi Glenn,

I was hoping you were imaging last night. I was out about 11:00 PM (south of Casa Grande) and the seeing was the best I've caught in over a year (my schedule interferes a lot of the time). Jupiter was loaded with detail but I'm not sure I could pick up detail on Ganymede with a 9.8" - I've never been able to determine if the darkening near the center is reality or just effects of central obstruction (~28%).
I'm looking forward to your Jupiter images. :)

Best,
--Mike Spooner

#6 lcd1080

lcd1080

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Glenn I'm wondering how the moon would turn out if you did apply deconvolution; your image clearly shows the same dark area shown in the lower half of the WinJupos simulation -- at least I think the similarity of contrast and shape is clear.

Pete

#7 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks guys!

Mike said:

I was hoping you were imaging last night.

Mike I was imaging last night and did manage to catch a few things, including Ganymede approaching Jupiter. I will be posting that shortly. The Jovian moons will show a donut appearance when processed too aggresively with wavelets or deconvolution. Even without an obstruction this occurs. But the obstruction does work a little against you. But then again sufficient aperture helps. What really helps is if the seeing is excellent!

Glenn

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

Hubble

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Let me ask you this... When you do these images are they simply cropped out of the image of Jupiter?

I would be curius as to what would happen if you imaged just Ganymede?

I don't even know if that is possible.

I would really be interested to see how much detail a C14 could capture on Ganymede.

#9 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Eddgie - Ganymede was imaged by itself. It was pretty far afield at the time.

I'd be interested how much detail can be captured myself. Will attempt again if I get one of those rare 8 or 9/10 seeing nights. I used to get those when I lived in the swamplands but the desert is not quite as forgiving.

Glenn

#10 claytonbigwood

claytonbigwood

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Very very nice Glenn :waytogo::waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics