• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well new to me anyway, it certainly looks new. I've decided to purchase a new imaging mount. It was a toss up between the Mach 1 and a new G11 with G2. Obviously I chose the Mach 1. It looks like Sandi as an affinity for my mount, sorry everyone; If I were to purchase the G11, I was going to add Cassidy weights and an Ovision worm plus a few other extras. Basically, I was trying to build a Mach 1. Add these items up and it starts to approach the Mach 1 price. I sent a few messages to Losmandy, I wasn't too impressed with the response, or lack of. I even called a few times but didn't get anyone?? Just go ahead and email or call Astro-Physics, they have amazing customer service, and so they should.

The Mach 1 and Eagle is a gorgeous combo. The build quality is simply superb. I did have an hour or so to test it on Fri before the clouds rolled in. I'm very impressed with the stability of the Eagle Pier, it's rock solid. It took me a while to familiarize myself with the HC, it's certainly different than my EQ6. I have to practice drift aligning, I don't have a clue about it. I told myself if I'm going to spend this much money on a mount, I will only drift align for imaging. Besides, AP has a few short cuts to speed up the process however, I will need a finder with crosshairs to take advantage of this.

I do have my first question if an owner would care to answer? When going through the polar alignment procedure, how do I change the movement speed without having to back out of the process? I know number 6 is the button but, once you choose a star and start the process, I can't change the speed. I need to really slow it down to center the star properly in the reticle and vice versa if I'm too far off. Any tips here?
I'm really happy with my purchase and can't wait to check it out with my cam on it.

Here's a picture.

Faron

Attached Files

#2 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Beautiful!
Blueman

#3 D. Perry

D. Perry

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern California, USA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Looks great. Congratulations! You made the right choice. I *believe* you can change speeds by using the left and right arrow keys.

Best,

#4 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Read all of the manuals. It doesn't work like other mounts. You'll see when you get it going.

-Rich

#5 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Congrats on the new Mach1. :waytogo: There is no finer mount available in its class and I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of it after you work your way through the manual.

I only do visual now, so I conveniently forgot all that stuff about drift alignment a few years ago. I can do a simple polar align through the mount and be happy all night. :)

I also suggest you not be so hard on Losmandy. They are a much smaller operation and astro mounts are a sideline to their 'real' business. I have always been able to get through, unless they are on lunch break, and they have always been very helpful to me.

But as you noticed, no one compares to A-P when it comes to customer service. :bow:

Cheers,

Ron

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

"I sent a few messages to Losmandy, I wasn't too impressed with the response, or lack of. I even called a few times but didn't get anyone??"

I also sent Losmandy some questions about the G11 last week and never got a response. Wonder what is happening there.

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Beautiful mount, Faron. Maybe some more pics besides just the head-on shot :jump:

#8 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

i always had better luck calling losmandy than with email. however, scott did answer at least one of my emails.

#9 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi Jim, I will take a few shots of the head and post it for you.
Guys, I have two nine pound weights and a single six pound. I'm slightly scope heavy with my beefy TOA130 and accessories. I've read that the Mach 1 has the same motors as the larger mounts which means they are very strong. I'm sure a slight off balance won't be an issue for the motors. Will this have a detrimental effect on tracking? Again, this is an imaging mount.

Faron

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

If you're imaging, work to get a good balance.

#11 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi Jim, I will take a few shots of the head and post it for you.
Guys, I have two nine pound weights and a single six pound. I'm slightly scope heavy with my beefy TOA130 and accessories. I've read that the Mach 1 has the same motors as the larger mounts which means they are very strong. I'm sure a slight off balance won't be an issue for the motors. Will this have a detrimental effect on tracking? Again, this is an imaging mount.

Faron

Good question! I would post on the AP GTO group. I'm sure a lot of AP users will chime in...According to AP perfect balance isn't required. I would however try to get as close as possible.

#12 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Hi Again Faron.
I think that for the TOA we will need three 9lb weights. Incidentally I have discovered that the 11lb Meade LX80 weights work just fine on the Mach1. They are obviously cheaper but also much lower quality. I don't know if that's relevant but SS in not magnetic so it won't interfere with the built in compass of the Mach1. The meade weights do.
They also have what appears to be a SS Rod that pushes against the counterweight shaft so I replaced is with a bronze one that is non marring.

#13 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

My TOA-130 needed three nine pound weights, shifted up 1.5 inches from the bottom.

The Mach1 is not too sensitive off-balance, but your setup will also depend on your camera and guiding setups and you are already a couple pounds off.

I would definitely grab another nine pound weight.

Cheers,

Ron

#14 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thanks guys, I will order another weight. Andy, I can't put a Meade weight on there...

#15 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Thanks guys, I will order another weight. Andy, I can't put a Meade weight on there...

Lol yeah most people wouldn't! I'm just practical:) Sometimes to increase the counterweights on my NJP I use 5lb gym plates!! Works like a charm

#16 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Lol yeah most people wouldn't! I'm just practical:) Sometimes to increase the counterweights on my NJP I use 5lb gym plates!! Works like a charm

I agree. I also sandwiched Losmandy weights on my thin Mach1 shaft while I was waiting for the "proper" gear to arrive. It's okay to improvise. :lol:

Cheers,

Ron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics