CGEM Taper Bearing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I am forced to replace the DEC housing taper bearing on my CGEM. (That's the bearing at the rear of the DEC housing through which the counterweight bar passes.) I am waiting for a response from Ed Thomas who has been very supportive, but thought I might check for sources elsewhere as well. Does anyone know the exact specs of this bearing and any source where it is available? Thanks for all info.

Michael :question:

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

It's a standard bearing available at any auto parts or bearing house. I don't remember the number, but you should not have a problem finding one. The number of the bearing is marked on it.You will need to replace both the bearing and the race as a set.

Stan

#3 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Michael,

You could try here. You will need to measure the old bearing to make sure you get the right one. I purchased new main axis bearings from these guys when I did my hypertune on my CGEM.

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi Stan and Kirk,
Ed sent me to the same website and I ordered the deluxe version (Nachi bearing). Thanks for the help.
Michael

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Good deal Michael. I have been dealing with VBX for over 40 years. Good people and products. They are just a few blocks away from my shop in Orange, Ca.

Stan

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Stan,
By the race, do you mean the circular piece that seems to be attached in the bore of the mount? If so, it looks like it will take some prodding to knock it loose. Thanks again for the info.
Michael

#7 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Yes. The race is a press fit. You should always replace brgs in sets. Although made to specific tolerances there is some variance from mfg to mfg. In the application for use on the CGEM the bearing is extreamly over specified and if you find it beyond your abilities, it my not matter if you change the race or not.

Stan

#8 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Tapping the race around the edge circumference from the inside with a long dowel or metal rod (inserted from the opposite side of the housing) will usually remove it. Just take your time as it needs to slide out straight.

#9 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks, Stan and Ed!
Michael

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics