Jupiter NEB

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Too old to trick or treat, I sketched Jupiter this evening. It was still rather low, but seeing was pretty good. Plus, there was a lot of detail that just had to be sketched.

There seemed to be an endless chain of festoons along the southern edge of the NEB. Very apparent was a bright rift in the NEB. Also, the NTB has a fine, very dark streak along the northern side. It's almost like someone put eye liner on Jove.

The SEB during the very best moments seemed to be molted across the norther boundary. It had a much darker central streak running nearly it's length. Did not notice any banding in the NPR. Did glimpse some faint bands in the SPR. Erased them, then sighted them again. EQ band extended to about the meridian.

No GRS, but hey...lots going on. Thanks!

31 Oct 1500 to 1600UT
System I System II System III
176.80 30.47 78.72

Attached Files

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Great sketch, Norme. I too have been observing the festoons and 'eye liner' on Jupiter, as well as the textured look of the SEB. This morning I did get to see the GRS, or I should say the 'ghost of the GRS'. It was so pale I could barely make it out, but I could see the outline it makes on the SEB. Having a full moon so close to the planet doesn't help either.

Jupiter doesn't show itself in Miami until late at night, and then the radiated heat and moisture adversely affect the view. What I have been doing lately is taking the scope out in the morning for a short observing session while I have my coffee, before getting ready for work. I also have a new-to-me binoviewer that I really like for lunar and planetary.

Great catch on Jupiter and a great sketch, too. :waytogo:

Ed D

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ed, thank you. Same here. It is easy to see where the GRS is, but not so easy to really spot the GRS itself. It looks like a pale brush stroke laying below the SEB. That gives it kind of a two toned appearance (to me): a bit darker in the south. Not sure what is causing that appearance, possibly some contrast trick with the brighter band across the top. At 300x, I did manage the full oval shape.

Jupiter crosses the Zenith a little after 2AM local here as well. So, early morning seems the best time to observe. However, the tropical skies can be quite good as Jupiter climbs higher around midnight. I am sure seeing in Miami will improve. Until then, enjoy your coffee under peaceful morning skies. :)

Just ran across this ALPO image pretty much the same CM's on 31 Oct (with credit to the ALPO contributor ALPO permission pending.)

Edit: ALPO permission granted 2 Nov by email.

Attached Files

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Norme,

A fine detailed sketch that compares well with the image.
Tough to get a good night where I am but I'm waiting calmly.

Frank :)

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Frank, how can you wait calmly? I've been biting my nails. :)

Yea, I was actually pretty pleased to see an image, it's nice to compare our work with others. Sometimes it's a nice sanity check. :)

Just noticed my SPR is too big. :(

#6 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

hi Norme,

very detailed study,
but the small white spots are visuell hard to see ?

Bye Christian

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Just ran across this ALPO image

Always fun to compare your own observations with a photo. Looks like you got it right on the spot :waytogo:

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Christian, yes, hard to see. I could see one or two larger ones periodically. They come and go, sometimes showing themselves but far more often not. When the seeing froze nice and steady, the SEB appeared somewhat molted along the norther edge. I wasn't looking for it, really, it just occurred and noted it. Then noted it again, so it got included on the sketch. But, they are set in a darker region than the far more difficult ovals in the SPR.

Jef, yea, I do it to gain confidence in observing and sketching. Some details are so difficult, they are just on the verge of what is visible and the edge of eye strain and patients. Some details could even be imaginary. So far, I do not think I have sketched anything that is not there. And have missed things that are there (the brighter area closer to the NEB preceding edge, for example. Maybe closer attention might have spotted it, but I had no reason to suspect a "rift" was there.) That's nice to know, at least personally.

To me, the region below that white "rift" in the NEB looked like a series of 3 festoons with one embedded a little further up into the NEB. It turns out not to be 3 festoons, but the darker embedded region between the two on the meridian is a darker cloud feature. In the sketch, I gave it a bluish hue thinking it was a festoon.

#9 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Just ran across this ALPO image

Always fun to compare your own observations with a photo. Looks like you got it right on the spot :waytogo:

I was thinking the same. Impressive sketch. :bow:

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thank you, Jason. It is rewarding. :)

#11 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Nice work with Jupiter.

#12 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#13 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi.

Very accurate details. Congrats.

Andre.

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thank each of you. Kind of proud of that one. :bow:

#15 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

:oMy fav of yours this apparition so far. Weather here's been cruddy since before and now since the hurricane (lol the great white spot). Nothing but suckerholes at best. I lije the dimensional look of the neb and finally the festoons are coming back. Last year was so much froth in that area.

How do you like your baffless mak? Is there a diff? Also which baffle did you remove?

Thanks!!!!

Pete

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

How do you like your baffless mak? Is there a diff? Also which baffle did you remove?

Thanks!!!!

Pete

Well, still kind of sort of wondering that myself, Pete. The secondary baffle came off for testing. So far, might just leave it off.

When the seeing calms and Jupiter freezes, I just want to jump out of my skin with excitement. I cannot tell any difference, for better or worse, on Planetary contrast improving the CO from ~35% to ~30%. Sketched Mars with it off last year, seemed fine. I am sure there has been some increased contrast, I just have not been able to say for sure.

There is some improvement in the lunar diffraction effect. It is noticeably reduced. And likewise for doubles, the diffraction rings are noticeably improved. So, there is some improvement, as far as I can tell, little down side (except for some very obvious SA during star testing - and outside of focus.) That's the part I am still evaluating, does this observed HSA degrade the wavefront.

And so far, no direct glare on the focal plane....even observing the moon. Which reminds me, bagged Cat's Paw again last night...about 2AM when the moon was high and seeing was almost perfect. Got Sabine C, too, and Aldrin and Collins, in crater form - 4 days (?) past full. Always think of you when the Cat's Paw presents itself. I tried the night before, best I could do is a white spot somewhere near the Paw. But, seeing was not as good, Collins and Aldrin were less visible.

Thanks Pete...hope you can find a clear sky sometime soon.

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Norme,

Excellent sketch and observation of the King. That bright rift north of that big festoon on the CM must have really jumped out at you, but you also captured some very subtle detail, like the northern edge of the SEB.

Definitely one to be proud of. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics