8 replies to this topic

#1 krp

krp

Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

I wasn't planning on watching the Taurid meteor shower since I though it was supposed to be weak. But I came across this article talking about a swarm of Taurid fireballs that is predicted for this year: Taurid Fireballs
Apparently they occur in a 61 year cycle and there were many sighted in 1951. Has anyone seen any fireball meteors recently?

#2 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for the link. There was a story at space.com about this as well.

#3 krp

krp

Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I was out for about 6 hours last night, since the clouds finally cleared. I saw about 15-20 meteors, 3 of them being fireballs. There was one that was spectacular around 1:30 AM. It started overhead and went across Gemini, lasting about 5 seconds. It was a yellow-orange color and I could see it breaking into pieces. The meteor was very bright, -10 maybe.

If it's clear this weekend where you live, this meteor shower is worth watching I think.
Here's another article: http://earthsky.org/...november-nights

#4 sideshowkevin

sideshowkevin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

I saw a fireball tonight - I was just looking up from changing EPs and saw the last half or so. Smoky trail from Taurus to Gemini. About -5 or -5.5 mag, I would say.

It will be a clear and warm weekend here, so hopefully I can catch some more!

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the post, keep any eye out for them tonight.

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I pulled an all-nighter at a "local" dark site last night, during which I spent about 45 minutes actively meteor watching. I counted 13 Northern Taurid meteors throughout the night, including four that were quite notable in terms of brightness. A very bright but short meteor that fragmented right above M45 (the Pleiades) was one of the best. One of my observing buddies and I noticed a bright flash that illuminated the ground at one point but it took place to our backs, unfortunately.

Dave Mitsky

#7 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Caught a few Friday and Saturday night, but too cold here to convince me to stay out much past midnight for more.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Saw two Friday night(11-9-12) while driving across Nebraska. Wish I could have been stargazing instead.

#9 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I saw about a dozen fireballs last night between 10pm and 2am. Since I was hovered over my eyepiece, there were probably many more that I missed. I wasn't sure if they were associated with any particular shower, but most of them originated near Auriga and streaked toward Cassiopeia or Cepheus. One left a "smoke trail" that was visible for about 2 seconds after the meteor flared out. In hindsight, they certainly could have been Taurids.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics