Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks.

#27 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

<< No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks. >>

Pros and Cons of both to say the least. I bought a Mini thinking SF would run more consistently with future upgrades, and Apple has so many more top quality apps designed to run on their tablets...including the Mini. I could care less about GPS and the screen looks just fine for the apps I plan to run.....primarily SF connected to several telescopes.

As for the premium one would pay.....again to me it's worth it to reduce problems down the road with SF upgrades (they always seem to battle with Android), and have tons more tablet designed apps available at my fingertips (275,000 specifically designed for the iPad -- and the largest collection of music available in one place, 1.5 million iBooks).

But the good news is that we customers have choices...many....and that's not all bad!

#28 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks.

A small dollar amount for something that works correctly all time, more software, ah-hoc networking with SkySafari, with solid and exquisite build quality?

I'll be buying the iPad.

#29 tjspelich

tjspelich

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bella Vista, AR

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I have the same problem with my 2nd Gen Touch. What I have found is that is becomes fairly slow in the screen touch response I power cycle the iPod completely and the problem goes away for awhile. I just figure it is the older iOS (4.2.1) I have to use.
Tim

#30 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

<< I have the same problem with my 2nd Gen Touch. >> Just doesn't seem to have the horsepower to avoid lags when moving the telescope.

#31 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Compared side by side yesterday an Ipad 3 next to the Mini (SkySafari). Yes charts present a bit smaller images, text, lines, etc. for the same chart coverage, however, it's not all that much smaller. Mini's views will be totally ok for use outside with a scope. And the Mini fits nicely into the Dark Skies Apparel observing vest pockets which is kind of neat. In fact, it fits almost like the vest was made for it.

#32 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

If only the Apple experience was as perfect as it's perceived to be. Those of us familiar with computers and programming know the experience is often a bumpy road.

From tech radar.com, "And Wi-Fi connectivity isn't the only problem you can get with an iPad. There are issues with backing up and syncing, oddball ghost apps, seemingly random jerky performance, and more."

#33 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

And the Mini fits nicely into the Dark Skies Apparel observing vest pockets which is kind of neat. In fact, it fits almost like the vest was made for it.

I went to re-check my DSA vest. Don't know how I missed it the first time (probably measured the upper pocket) but the lower left pocket is perfect! I won't need to remove any stitching.

#34 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

<< experience was as perfect as >>

Nothing in life is perfect.

#35 deepskytraveler

deepskytraveler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Worthington, OH

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Here's a photo of Chucky's iPad Mini resting securely in one of the lower pockets of my Dark Skies Apparel hooded observing vest. Incredibly it is a perfect fit.

-Mark

Attached Files

#36 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Mark, just double-checked to make sure I didn't leave my Mini at your house last Saturday. I know you want one!

#37 kurat

kurat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

<<
As for the premium one would pay.....again to me it's worth it to reduce problems down the road with SF upgrades (they always seem to battle with Android), and have tons more tablet designed apps available at my fingertips (275,000 specifically designed for the iPad -- and the largest collection of music available in one place, 1.5 million iBooks).

But the good news is that we customers have choices...many....and that's not all bad!

Don't feel bad for spending a little more money, I paid a premium for the iPhone 5, $799 + 13% tax =$902.87, for the luxury of having no contract, a 10% total rate plan savings (I don't think the carriers in the U.S offer this) and the fact when I do some traveling, I can purchase prepaid sims for the country Im in since the phone is unlocked.

Sure I could have paid $299 and be locked into a 3 year contract (yes 3 years in Canada), and have to submit to every thing the carriers contract tells me to do, as a matter of fact, since I own the phone outright, I can change to different rate plans when ever I want, you may be thinking can I make things more efficient, because if I went for the contract, how long would it take to pay off the $400, or how much does the damn phone really cost?, also it makes you wonder, is the carrier really subsidizing the phone, or are you paying off a loan where you have no idea what the interest rate is, or how much of the phone is actually getting paid off each month, and this is why I like to own my stuff outright.

Its not that bad when you have to pay extra for something you like or for contractual freedom.

#38 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I use SkySafari Pro and SkyFi hooked up to my Meade controller and use the iPad mini to surf the night sky. It works like magic. Use the LXD75 protocol and Equatorial settings on Sky Safari Pro for the LX 80. I love the size of the mini and it fits in my pocket. Loving this combo. Also got it working on my 18" Obsession.

#39 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Anyone else getting the Mini?

I took the plunge yesterday for wifi/cellular model 32GB. I'll be using it with SkyFi to drive my ServoCAT Dob.

With Apple's Black Friday price on the regular base model it was a harder decision, but size and weight won out. The Mini will be much more manageable at the top of a Dob ladder. Half the weight and fits easily into either my parka or Dark Sky Apparel observing vest pockets.

It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. But it's so good for the economy when you buy everything twice, and this economy needs all the help it can get.

#40 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

<< It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. >>

Jeff, I highly doubt it'll make that much difference just using the Mini at night with a scope. The current screen is very adequate for such use.

#41 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

<< It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. >>

Jeff, I highly doubt it'll make that much difference just using the Mini at night with a scope. The current screen is very adequate for such use.

Actually, I stalled buying the currently offered mini knowing full well that retina display mini will be released at some point next year, but generally agree the current display would be adequete.

#42 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Now that I have my delivery notification for next week, I'm not even thinking about the Retina display.

#43 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

i see no difference between retina and regular. i was told you only really notice it if watching a movie

#44 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

<< Actually, I stalled buying the currently offered mini knowing full well that retina display mini will be released at some point next year, but generally agree the current display would be adequete. >>

There will always be a 'newer and better model' 'coming soon'. With life being short, get what you need and will use now.....now, not later. Especially when that newer and better model will not really impact your use of the thing. With respects to the Mini - if you will be using it primarily with the scope in the field, again the current screen is well more than adequate. It's really, really nice.

#45 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

When I placed my order the promised delivery date was December 14th.

A few days ago I got a shipment notification that it would arrive Tuesday the 4th.

Fed-Ex showed up with my iPad Mini yesterday!

Naturally, one of the first things I did was get SkySafari Plus installed - it looks great! And sooo much easier to see and navigate than the iPhone. I picked up a couple of sheets of Red Eyes cling film, need to get this tested soon.

One thing that immediately jumps out - it feels weightless, but not flimsy or cheap. The Mini will absolutely disappear in a large jacket pocket.

As much as love my Uranometria charts, I think I'm ready to make the transition to all-electronic.

#46 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I may have to get one. My wife is on vacation with our iPad and I miss it.

#47 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

<< Fed-Ex showed up with my iPad Mini yesterday! >>

Great Jeff. Anxious to hear how the Red Eyes work for you. Passed by your way last week....driving up to visit Lowell. Nice part of the country for sure.

#48 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

How has the Mini held up to actual use? I'm still on the fence as weather to get the Mini or the IPad2.

#49 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Record cold weather in Arizona has precluded most field use for me. But day to day use it's fabulous. I love mine.

#50 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've had mine (Mini) since mid-November. As far as I can tell, it's suffered no ill effects from a fair amount of traveling with me in luggage and being lugged around birding or out under the stars.

FWIW, my one regret is not buying one with more than the minimum memory offered. Whenever I add an app or something I have to delete music to make space.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics