My First Sketch (M 103)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

While I was troubled a little bit by some high cirrus and the impending moonrise, I managed to do my first real sketch of M 103 tonight.

The two biggest challenges for me that I need to work on are getting the star relative brightnesses better. I seem to have two "magnitudes:" bright and dim. I've also noticed it is very easy to get the proportions off when one starts plotting down the first few stars. I need to work on that. But what I especially need to practice is drawing dots, not these weird quasi-crescent shapes that manifest themselves when I try to draw stars!

All in all, this is a great beginning cluster. Very sparse field with several cool asterisms, including one I labeled a radio telescope in the northeast of the field.

Meade 8" f/6 Dob, 32mm eyepiece, 1.3 degree field.

(Oddly enough, shrinking the photo of the sketch down to meet the image size requirements actually hides the imperfections!)

Attached Files

#2 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Michael.

Its nice for a first one. I never tried sketching at night and for sure it demand some skill. With practice you will get better and find new tricks to make your sketches better. Its nice to have a new sketcher in the gang.

Andre.

#3 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Most excellent!! Looks like you are off to a great start.

Jason

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Fine first sketch, my first one was much worse! Hope to see much more in the future here on CN. Be aware: sketching can be adactive...

shrinking the photo of the sketch down hides the imperfections

You already learnt one big trick ;)

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Michael,

Nice sketch of M-103 :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Open clusters are indeed challenging, given their introduction to star placement accuracy and rendered brightness. To my eyes your brightness level look very good. Placement of stars also appears authentic. Excellent work!

Given the washed out skies in your first outing, it might be interesting for you to repeat the sketch on a night with good transparency.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Michael,

It looks just fine. All thoe issues you have now will resolve over time, just keep at it.

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics