• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 sissyc

sissyc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas Ozarks

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

Well, read your post, and thought no way would that happen to me,,, coffee at 2 am. Well, I had just started this observing, enjoying being outside late at night. Looking at Jupiter, just giddy! Drink my last swig of beer, teeter into the dark house, throw the beer bottle away (still in the dark), open up the fridge to retrieve another,,,, dam!! Felt like someone shot me. Took me a few minutes to calm down and quit kicking myself! Very annoying! MUST PLAN AHEAD!

#52 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

for some reason when I first saw this post I thought of this as the most annoying way to loose dark adaptation...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=58jkqqgVV08

#53 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Well, if caffeine is the issue, Red Bull works well.

#54 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Skip the coffee.

Sorry. If I wake up in the early a.m. -- no coffee, no observing.

Caffiene in tablet form works amazingly well. :cool:

#55 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

A shot o' Jack at 2 a.m. would put me right back in the cozy warm sack. :yawn:

Here's an idea -- Buy an insulated coffee carafe from Wal-Mart or Target. I have one that will swallow up almost an entire pot of coffee and keep it hot -- I'm not exaggerating here -- for almost two entire days on my kitchen counter. Amazing. Since I like cream & sweetener, I often pre-sweeten & cream the entire carafe so I can just pour & go throughout the day.

If you know you're going to get up and observe (you did have to set an alarm), you could always make your coffee the evening before, put it in the carafe ready-to-go, and then all ya gotta do is pour it in a cup. Heck, take the carafe outside with ya.

The nice thing about a carafe over a thermos is that you can use the carafe at home all the time and for a multitude of purposes. I work at home and use mine every day. Many people aren't aware how much energy is required to keep their coffee warm on their coffee makers for several hours. Mine pulls 800 watts when that little hot plate is on! Why pay your electric company to keep your coffee warm all day? I turn my maker off the moment the coffee's finished brewing and pour it into the carafe.

Meade

#56 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Well, read your post, and thought no way would that happen to me,,, coffee at 2 am. Well, I had just started this observing, enjoying being outside late at night. Looking at Jupiter, just giddy! Drink my last swig of beer, teeter into the dark house, throw the beer bottle away (still in the dark), open up the fridge to retrieve another,,,, dam!! Felt like someone shot me. Took me a few minutes to calm down and quit kicking myself! Very annoying! MUST PLAN AHEAD!

See, I told you a cooler was mandatory astronomy equipment!! :lol:

#57 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

I keep my observing eye closed when doing something that requires white light. My brain seems to deal with having one dark adapted eye pretty well. The problem is my non observing eye isn't very good reguardless of the lighting. David

#58 av8or

av8or

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Once at a star party, I used the eye patch over one eye method while entering a white light room. It worked fantastic but once I went back under dark skies, I felt like I was blind in one eye!! Couldn't believe the difference it made.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics