More ASI120MM trials.....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Still trying for a decent night of seeing - or even more importantly transparency - here in the Northern Territory, but it'll be tonight or tomorrow night...or never for us this apparition of Jove, because we'll then be heading back on the long trip home..!

Last night was another example of transparency wrecking what could have been reasonable images.....seems like the story of our lives here atm....! :bawling: :lol:

Apropos my efforts with the Flea3 the other night in my last thread, I followed Glenn's advice re his own observation on colour-rendition in poor transparency by carefully observing the histogram as I applied the sharpening to each of the channels I captured this morning - again in poor transparency...

This isn't possible in AstraImage due to the lack of any live histograms (among other shortcomings therein...) so I took my images direct from R6 into Photoshop (I only have CS3 on the laptop) and did the channel merges there - and it took me a few minutes to work out how to do it after all this time using AstraImage... :question: :)

Anyway, whatever the shortcomings of the seeing etc of this morning including my own, this method at least allowed a much better rendering of the colours imo.....at least to my eyes on this uncalibrated laptop..!:shocked: :lol:

Here's a comparison of the 2 processing methodologies - at a "boutique" scale which is about all the conditions would allow..!
:grin:

A big problem with this camera and the C14 is the large image scales because of the camera's small pixel size and the C14's large focal length - and the conditions so far just won't allow those sorts of scales.....the following post's image reveals what I made up before I left home to reduce the TeleVue 2X barlow to an approximately 1.6X amplifier: but I should have had a flange machined up to bring the amplification down to 1.4X - which would've suited the conditions up here a little better - and saved all my own efforts making the setup shown in the next post....! :foreheadslap:

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

.....and my current optical train setup to reduce image scale from this camera for it to fit in a resolution allowing 70fps.

Attached Files

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

ps - I believe the RH image is actually the better image but the LH is nearer the colour I would have wished for.....and probably the detail (such as it is!) is better in the RHS image from my very "rusty" channel merging in Photoshop as much as anything else..... :)

#4 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Very Nice!
I prefer the right one.More natural
Best seeing will come!

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Very Nice!
I prefer the right one.More natural
Best seeing will come!

Yes, I agree Sam.....but "best seeing" may be too late for us - some monsoon weather is rolling in and we're heading South tonight.

We might get a chance tomorrow night to try some more imaging with both cameras whilst we have Jupiter still fairly high in the sky at our next stop South.....but that is only a "maybe." :bow:

I'm disappointed and I did want to also try your camera at prime focus if the seeing isn't cooperating - the image scale would have been similar to my images above but I now realise I should have made that adapter up before I left home.....but it would have been expensive, and my other option of a low-power Siebert barlow would've taken too long because he makes them up to order!

Last night could've been great as the Flea3 packed up as per my other thread about 1/2 hour BEFORE culmination and I had every intention of swapping over to the ASI120MM around that time - the seeing was improving and it most probably would've been fine with the TeleVue in! :question:

But that's the luck of the draw with this activity - we gave it a darn good shot and I know that it does create great images from your own and ZZ's postings.....hopefully Emil can grab something for Europe with it if he finds the time and gets good seeing! :)

For me it'll be back to tiny Mars and the odd shot at Jupiter if conditions are really favourable back home..... :bawling: :)

#6 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Hi Darryl
Anyway, nice try!
Welcome back :)

#7 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hi Darryl
Anyway, nice try!

By the way... ZWO website doesn't loads for me. ;)

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hi Darryl
Anyway, nice try!

By the way... ZWO website doesn't loads for me. ;)

.....just tried it - it works ok but it took quite a long time to download all the imagery on the main page. :question: :)

#9 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Looking pretty good and I see that dark banding in yours that I saw in the one that I got with my DBK and I also saw it in the one that was posted for the imaging contest. It looks like Jupiter took a beating during the time when it was not in good position for imaging, lots of changes. I am socked in tonight myself.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics