• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I decided to move my SkySync from my Alt-Az NexStar mount to my ASGT. Since the available ports differ, I went looking at Celestron for "how to" info. I found the following:

"For the Advanced GT and the SkySync, unplug the Advanced GT’s hand control, plug in the GPS to the HC port and then plug in the hand control to the port on the base of the SkySync.

Second, turn on the mount.

Third, enable the GPS. Press MENU , scroll up/down using the 6 and or 9 keys to UTILITIES press ENTER and scroll again to find GPS ON/OFF Choose On and press ENTER."

This all seems straightforward enough, but after doing it the Alignment process hung up with an error message which I seemed to escape with "Back" key presses, but which recurred later. I finally have reverted to the non-GPS configuration and (whew!) all works normally again.

Is anyone else using a SkySync/ASGT/NexStar+ ? If so please advise on how to get this working. BTW -- HC firmware is the latest, MC firmware is one short of the latest (not sure if I can update that thru the NexStar+ or not).

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Phil,

You update the MC in the same way as before. Use the Celestron MC updater program that you used with the older style HC.

Can't help you with the other problems. I don't have the newer SkySync yet. My CN16 just died on me the other night, so I might be joining you very soon. I have 3 CG-5s to deal with.

Stan

#3 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks, Stan. And I've been noticing your signature of CG-5³. Why three of them? I am pleased that you like them enough to own three :)

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I do public outreach for scouts, seniors and private groups 10 to 20 times a year. Having light portable mounts that I don't have to monitor makes my job easier. Gives me more time to spend answering questions and dealing with the people rather than dealing with the mounts. I'm accually looking for a 4th...

Stan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics