• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Greg S

Greg S

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Encinitas, California

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I just got notified that the Astro Physics Right Angle Polar Scope is ready to ship.

I ordered one with the Mach1 Adapter. I sure hope it works like a TAK polar scope.

Polar Scope

#2 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I don't think they are shipping till month end.

But they are taking 50% now.

Joe

#3 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I generally don't like to be an early adopter but this looks too good to pass up - placed my order a couple days ago and paid my 50%.

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Looks nice and looks a far better solution than my Pasil I (first gen. and made by Losmandy). But unfortunately it wont work with my AP 400 mount because of the smaller shaft diameter...

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

This needs their i-phone app to tell you where Polaris should appear in the reticle when aligned for particular date/time. You don't have to rotate the RA axis to use it which is nice. On the other hand, the pier would need to be level on the East West direction to not induce some error. I thought about it, but my locations have some slope to them and between the scope and the bracket for the mount, it is rather pricey.

Dave

#6 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

This needs their i-phone app to tell you where Polaris should appear in the reticle when aligned for particular date/time.

Wonder if the app will be made available for Android ?
What if someone doesnt have a iPhone or iPad ?

#7 Greg S

Greg S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

The ASCOM v2 Driver is supposed to give you the same information as to where to place polaris.

If this is anything even close to the Takahashi polar scopes then it's the deal of the century since you can just polar align and then guide for 15 minute exposures.

I also have the PASIL from Losmandy and it's so loose in the mount it's got to be around +/- 3 degrees. It's basically useless.

I especially like the right angle part since I tend to keep my mount low when imaging which means crawling around in the dirt to look through the polar scope.

I've got my deposit down and my hopes up!

#8 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think it looks great but its too rich for me right now between it and the required adapter.
Also, its apparently only as accurate as the initial drift align you perform to calibrate the scope. Not a big deal, just make sure you've got a good alignment when you first align the reticle.

Can't wait for some hands on reviews.

#9 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

The ASCOM v2 Driver is supposed to give you the same information as to where to place polaris.

Then you would need to have a laptop with you ?
I placed my order for one a couple days ago also, i just
hope they make the app available for Android.

#10 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

This needs their i-phone app to tell you where Polaris should appear in the reticle when aligned for particular date/time.

You can get a used iPod Touch on eBay for $75 to $100.

#11 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

This needs their i-phone app to tell you where Polaris should appear in the reticle when aligned for particular date/time. You don't have to rotate the RA axis to use it which is nice. On the other hand, the pier would need to be level on the East West direction to not induce some error. I thought about it, but my locations have some slope to them and between the scope and the bracket for the mount, it is rather pricey.

Dave

That's a very good point. I didn't think about that. the mount needs to be perfectly level in the E-W direction otherwise the first drift alignment is completely useless.
My Tak scope has a bubble level. That seems to be a better system as I can polar align without the need for the mount to be level.

Andy

#12 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

You can get a used iPod Touch on eBay for $75 to $100.

Thanks!
A $1.99 app would be a lot nicer though, especially after
what the polar scope already cost. :)

#13 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Expensive. Pass :iwhat:

#14 Greg S

Greg S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

It's really quite funny to hear a gripe about an app that costs $1.99 in the same context of an Astro Physics mount. It's kind of like getting upset that an oil change on a Ferrari generally costs $2k at a dealer. You bought it, you got it and now you have to pay for it.

No offense to the budget minded here on CN; it's just that you can't really expect AP, Tak, TV, or any hand made, high QC hardware to be cheap.

My last company had a Cessna Citation Bravo Jet and I remember my boss coveting a Gulfstream V. We couldn't afford it but that jet kicks *BLEEP* nonetheless.

#15 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

It's really quite funny to hear a gripe about an app that costs $1.99 in the same context of an Astro Physics mount. It's kind of like getting upset that an oil change on a Ferrari generally costs $2k at a dealer. You bought it, you got it and now you have to pay for it.

No offense to the budget minded here on CN; it's just that you can't really expect AP, Tak, TV, or any hand made, high QC hardware to be cheap.

My last company had a Cessna Citation Bravo Jet and I remember my boss coveting a Gulfstream V. We couldn't afford it but that jet kicks *BLEEP* nonetheless.

I thought that the complaint was about the fact that no android app is available.
However I am very interested in first reports about the polar scope. Theoretically it should work great but I wonder if it will indeed be as good as the tak one. Btw If I remember well I had to buy tak align for my Tak mount.

Andy

#16 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

AP has said they are working on an Android app. no timeframe though...

#17 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

The polar finder takes the place of the cable run. I'm not giving up my cable run on the Mach 1 given my field experience with polar alignment scopes. The alignment leaves just as much precision polar alignment work to do as if I had just eyeballed north when I set the mount down.

At least AP has the app to mercifully reduce the "Where's Polaris supposed to be?" Conundrum. But given how close the reference (Polaris) is to the axis, there is a lot of intrinsic error which can't be reduced without a far off-axis reference to get the clocking more accurate.

Anyway, while performing the trials which ultimately convinced me cable pass-thrus are the best use of that space, I made an alignment target. Enjoy.

-Rich

Attached Files

#18 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Greg, i think you missunderstood what i said/meant. :)
I dont have any issue at all paying for a $1.99 app, its the fact its not available for Android, i dont want to
spend another $100 or more on a used iPad just to use it.

#19 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

AP has said they are working on an Android app. no timeframe though...

Thats good to know, hope its soon. :grin:

#20 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm just curious, I just received a Pasill4 and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Is this new angle polar scope going to replace the need to drift align? Will it be that accurate? Otherwise, isn't the polar scope only used for a for 30 seconds or so to quick align anyway?

#21 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have not used the pasill4 yet but it seems pretty inaccurate and wobbly compared to the tak. The new ra polar scope claims to be a lot more accurate.
It will be only as accurate as the initial calibration and subsequent leveling of the mount in the e-w direction. I think it would be prefect if it was rotatable and had a built in bubble level
Andy

#22 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi Andy, since both of us are unfamiliar with the Pasill4, these posts should be of some assistance.
Yahoo ap-gto #28881 & 35913

Faron

#23 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hi Andy, since both of us are unfamiliar with the Pasill4, these posts should be of some assistance.
Yahoo ap-gto #28881 & 35913

Faron

Thanks Faron!
Howard's post is very helpful. Funny that he mentioned teflon tape.....I was on my way to the hardware store earlier today to get some teflon tape for that same tweak:)

Andy

#24 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hi Faron.
I followed Howard's suggestion about fine tuning the Pasill4L and this past friday I had my first light with the mount.
I did a 30 second polar alignment and it was precise enough to give me excellent goto's. Also the drift seemed to be minimal and very easy to guide out.
So thumbs up for the Pasill4 after the fine tuning!

Andy

#25 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I just had quite a bit of discussion with George and Howard from AP- long story short, they say the right angle finder is good enough to do away with drift alignment hell.

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics