Io Transit sequence on 14 September 2012

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

I feel like I have just scratched the surface of the data that has piled up since the excellent seeing spell in mid-September. Going through the 9/14 sets I put together this transit sequence that documents the event up to Io transiting the meridian. All images were acquired with the C11 Edge, Siebert 2.5x Barlow, and a DBK21AU618 w/ Baader UV/IR cut filter. Each avi was 150 seconds at 30 fps, with the best 1500 frames from each stacked in AS!2 and processed in PS CS4 and Registax 5.1. Thanks for looking!

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Nice Brian..!

.....a possible animation coming up..? :question: :)

#3 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Darryl :grin: Actually I would like to try an animation, in fact I have a few sets I'd like to do this with...any suggestions for animation applications?

Clear Skies,
Brian

#4 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Lovely set of images Brian! I've started using PIPP for animations :
PIPP

Just load your images files and save as an avi.

#5 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Very nice capture Brian, I'm struck by how Io is almost camouflaged by the SEB particularly in the 4th and 6th images.

Pete

#6 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Brian, that is a great sequence! Hope you get another stretch of good seeing soon!

Glenn

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Darryl :grin: Actually I would like to try an animation, in fact I have a few sets I'd like to do this with...any suggestions for animation applications?
Clear Skies,
Brian

I used Photoshop but Stuart's suggestion re PIPP looks good - Rob (clayton bigwood) pointed this software out to me quite some time ago but I must confess I wasn't very interested at the time because I felt (and still do) that AS!2 renders a lot of PIPP (and ninox also) somewhat superfuous, both for efficiency and speed.....that's just a personal opinion, mind you..! :)

But if PIPP can take processed files and turn them into an avi without a lot of rigmarole I'd be most interested.....so I guess I'll have to investigate this interesting capability out much more thoroughly!!! :question: :)

#8 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Lovely set of images Brian! I've started using PIPP for animations :
PIPP

Just load your images files and save as an avi.

Thanks SC! I checked it out and it did the job with a test set, I'll expand my sample and see if I can come up with something to post...

Clear Skies,
Brian

#9 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Pete and Glenn :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian

#10 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi Darryl,

I tried the PIPP suggestion and had immediate, painless success with a test set. There are some more frames I can add to the sequence so I'll try that next and see what I get. Can I post an avi here? Will I have to convert it to something else? Don't know having never tried this before...

Clear Skies,
Brian

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

.....the gif format is the one I'm familiar with via CS4 as animations Brian - the main problem is that any colour animation with over 3 or so frames usually winds up exceeding the 200Kb limit very quickly.....you usually have to drop the image size and quality in the "Save as Gif" window to pull it down under that filesize limitation.....

My quick look at PIPP convinced me that I'd probably undersold this software and your report has me thinking of trialling it real soon - maybe with those iR742nM's where I got Ganymede coming out of Jupiter's shadow... :question:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics