• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Harry.C

Harry.C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi folks,

Apologies for another (most likely) simple question. My CGEM DX mount came with a car adaptor only for power. The official AC adaptor is quite expensive and I was wondering if this product: Sunforce AD/DC Converter is what I need to run the mount off of AC power?

I don't want to damage any of the electronics so I figured it was safer to ask rather than assume.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

#2 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Harry

Yea, that will work but it's probably at the low end of quality. For the same price or a little more you can likely find a better quality supply. The manual or Celestron tech support can tell you what the current requirements are (how many amps continuous are needed).
A brand I've been happy with is Pyramid though there are many that are perfectly good. A web search will turn up many. Here's one : http://www.beckerele...m/pyramid.html. I've even bought used from ebay.

Al

#3 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Apologies for another (most likely) simple question. My CGEM DX mount came with a car adaptor only for power. The official AC adaptor is quite expensive and I was wondering if this product: Sunforce AD/DC Converter, is what I need to run the mount off of AC power? I don't want to damage any of the electronics so I figured it was safer to ask rather than assume.

Hi Harry,

This one, the Pyramid PS9KX 5A/7A Power Supply is exactly what I use and recommend. It, incidentally, is the one that Astro-Physics sells.

#4 Harry.C

Harry.C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The power supply I linked says it provides 5.8A and the official Celestron AC supply says 5A, so I was a bit leery if that would cause problems.

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Then your mount may draw 5A. Any 12V (generally 12V to 13.8 V) supply that can provide that or more is good. A 5-7A supply would be excellent. A 10A supply would be ok too but as the capacity gets bigger then so does the price tag and the heat generated and so on. Better power supplies have better regulation, better fail safe, longer life etc. etc.

Al

#6 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi,
Celestron rates the CGEM DX at 12 volts 3.5 Amps. Your power supply should be at least 3.5 amps continuous, but I would use one rated at 5 amps or more. If your power supply output is too low it can cause damage to your electronics. I prefer one rated at 10amps with adjustable volts and a digital volt meter and amp meter. But their not cheap.

neilson

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

The supply Dave suggested looks like an excellent candidate at a very good price.

Al

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics