M57 - Pixinsight reprocess
Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:50 AM
This is a center crop.
Larger view on Flickr
Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:07 AM
Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:22 AM
Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:28 AM
Here's my workflow:
1. Preprocess (i.e. Apply Flats, Flat Darks & Darks and Debayer) with Nebulosity 3.
Everything else is done in PI
2. Register, Combine and Trim edges
3. Dynamic Background Subtraction
4. Color calibration
5. Noise reduction on unstretched image via Atrous Wavelets and Greycstoration
Steps 2-5 are on the unstretched image. You can see what you are doing by using the Screen Transfer function. Noise is kept low because it is not stretched.
6. Stretch image via Histogram transfer
7. Improve dynamic range via HDR wavelets
8. Local Contrast Enhancement
9. Improve saturation via curves
10. A little Unsharp mask
In some of these steps a Starmask or Luminance mask (or their inverse) was used. All these names make it sound daunting, but see Harry's tutorials for quick start recipes on most of these major steps.