I combined several designs I found on the internet to make the scope relatively lightweight but solid, and very important: the primary mirror box had to be a closed box to be able to use a Di Lio type cooling system.
It all worked out as planned and yesterday I took the telescope out under the streetlights for its First Light, mainly to test the mechanics.
I have not yet installed the fan, so the thick mirror was far from ambient temperature. The optics could therefore no be judged, but the overall smoothness of the telescope's movements turned out to be just perfect! While moving the telescope around with just two fingers it's hard to believe your moving a 60lb mass.
The eyepiece height is 167cm, so I can easily look through the scope at zenith without having to use a step.
The scope is not finished yet. I still have some painting to do, and the primary cooling/ secondary heating has to be installed. But allready I have a working 16" telescope now!
Can't wait to take it out to rural sites for some serious deepsky fun!