Photo

What is your challenge object for this winter...

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

hmmmmm, my challenge is a bit lamer than most Ive read here. Mine is to finish what I started 3 years ago.
I began the Astronomical leagues Messier Club.
I managed to knock off 73 in a year, and at the time was certain it would be done by the following summer.
Well life just seemed to bring this project to a halt.
But to bring this back to the topic, I have 6 items for the winter/early spring groups left. M79 in Lepus , M46-47-93 all in puppis, and M63 and M94 in Cnanes Venatici .Modest goals I admit, but I really hate leaving projects unfinished.

#52 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Andy, nothing at all lame about your challenges.
I think for nearly all of us, the challenge is getting time to observe and even more of a challenge to get that really good night!

#53 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

The Cone Nebula, yes. But there are also a lot of galaxies I need to bag in Ursa Major to finish up the H400. Those aren't really so much of a challenge to see, just to be out there to see them at a dark site when UMa is well positioned and the sky is transparent.

Mike

#54 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, the REAL challenge is getting out under a good sky...

#55 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Getting my 1.3" diagonal and 8" primary recoated. Then springtime galaxies look out. Ill have my 6" act to tide me over.

A hypothetical deepsky winter challenge if I were to do one would be high-power observing and sketching of the Eskimo and a color drawing of the trapezium region with associated nebula and dark intrusion.

Pete

#56 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

My last view of M42 was a couple weeks ago through my 10" Dob at a dark site. My Baader Zoom allowed me to dial in various levels of magnification, exit pupil and perceived contrast to pull in and emphasize different structures and aspects of the nebula, Trapezium, Fish's Mouth, and Wings.

For the life of me, I do not understand why more observers don't use a good Zoom eyepiece for deep sky. I - or they? - just don't get it.

:grin:
Mike

#57 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

From a dark sky site: The Horsehead with a 10" dob and Lumicon UHC, the Witch Head with the 10" dob.

From my my local area: Sirius B, and Ngc 2359 - Thor's Helmet.

Never really made a real assault on any of these before.

#58 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

From a dark sky site: The Horsehead with a 10" dob and Lumicon UHC, the Witch Head with the 10" dob.

From my my local area: Sirius B, and Ngc 2359 - Thor's Helmet.

Never really made a real assault on any of these before.

NGC-2359 - Thor's Helmet responds really well to an OIII filter. I first saw this with my 8" dob years ago. Saw it again later in our club's 31" - magnificent object. You'll like this one.

#59 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Stefan's Quintet. I've seen this before a few times, and under dark/transparent enough skies it's readily do-able in my 12". The real challenge around here is being able to travel to a dark-enough site on a good-enough night of transparency uncompromised by too-much humidity. But as with the quest for the Horsehead (which I've also bagged several times in my 12"), you don't always know for sure if the night is good enough until you put in 15-30 minutes trying. In general, travel to a dark-enough site around here means being fortunate enough to have both weather and situational opportunity on a new-moon weekend night, of which there aren't really all that many in a calendar year.

#60 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

hmmmmm, my challenge is a bit lamer than most Ive read here. Mine is to finish what I started 3 years ago.
I began the Astronomical leagues Messier Club.
I managed to knock off 73 in a year, and at the time was certain it would be done by the following summer.
Well life just seemed to bring this project to a halt.
But to bring this back to the topic, I have 6 items for the winter/early spring groups left. M79 in Lepus , M46-47-93 all in puppis, and M63 and M94 in Cnanes Venatici .Modest goals I admit, but I really hate leaving projects unfinished.

Same for me, to finish the Messier objects as I only seriously started observing in March of this year.

#61 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

The Cone Nebula, yes.

The Cone Nebula is a true challenge object. It's far more difficult than B33.

The only time that I've been able to catch a glimpse of it was through a 30" Tectron Dob at New Mexico Skies (magnitude 7 skies at an altitude of 7,000 feet).

Dave Mitsky

#62 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

The Cone Nebula, yes.

The Cone Nebula is a true challenge object. It's far more difficult than B33.

The only time that I've been able to catch a glimpse of it was through a 30" Tectron Dob at New Mexico Skies (magnitude 7 skies at an altitude of 7,000 feet).

Dave Mitsky

I have seen the Cone a couple of times in my 10 inch Newtonian with a narrow-band nebula filter, but that was on a few exceptional nights. Like the Horsehead, its visibility is highly dependent on conditions. I did see it without a filter in my 14 inch f/4.6 Newtonian one night last winter, but it was very vague and the filtered view was a bit better. This is one object where the H-beta filter proved useful, although it was still a little easier in my DGM Optics NPB filter. Clear skies to you.

#63 MikeRatcliff

MikeRatcliff

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Fornax Dwarf Galaxy, plus a few of the Fornax globulars besides NGC1094.

Sirius B star.

Trapezium G and H stars.

Ongoing challenges to try again: Cave Nebula, Palomar 13.

#64 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

It's still M1 for me. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics