• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sylvie

sylvie

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: niagara falls ontario canada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I hope I'm in the right forum for this particular question. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of seti@ home. If anyone has heard of it would you said it's worth it. Could it crash my computer. Please take note that I'm a bit technology literate. Any advice/opinion will be greatly appreciate it. Thank you much in advance :question:

#2 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

The basic premise behind SETI @ Home is it is much more efficient to crunch large amounts of data when you have more than one computer assigned to the task.

With SETI @ Home, your computer is used to crunch data in the background or while it is idle. If you have a desktop that is on 24/7, then "you" get to crunch more data.

I ran it for a while and never had a problem...

#3 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I ran "SETI (at) HOME" for quite a few years on a couple of computers that ran full time. I would still be running it except that I retired, changed my setup, went to a 4G wireless WiFi link for internet access and found the 5Gb bandwidth limitation barely adequate for my own needs without going over and paying usage penalties.

Therefore I stopped running Seti (at) Home... Never had a problem or glitch with it, totally transparent to my computer usage as far as I could tell...

#4 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I've ran it for a couple years on my Linux pc, you should have no issues with it crashing your pc. It was running through an i3 processor and 16g ram and never noticed it slowing my system what so ever as I did my usual thing on the same pc. I might be a little hesitant running it full time on a single pc that has low memory or a slower processor though.
It has some nice eye candy for those using Windows.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics