Kids Say The Most Interesting Things

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Sometimes when coming at viewing eye candy with visitors at a public event, we hear and say the same things. I have three kind of off the wall observations from children looking through an eyepiece for the first time, that stick with me.

One was a few months ago. I had a Lunt 60mm solar scope at a school event, and the sun was really putting on a show. Clumps of prominences around most of the limb, some big sunspot groups and faculae scattered around. One youth about middle school age looked into the scope for quite a while, then looked up and said, "It looks like when my brother shaved the cat."

Then there was about a year ago, looking at NGC457 called many names, officially the Owl Cluster but for a while when the movie was out, ET, then later after Short Circuit came out, Johnny 5, and I've seen it in some references calling it The Kachina Doll Cluster. So, one night I was showing it at an elementary school and a sixth grader looked at it and immediately said he thought a little group of stars near where one wing joins the body looked like its heart.

My most humorous one took place about seven years ago at the Grand Canyon Star Party. Back then, if we had big equipment we'd prefer not to have to set up and take down each night, we had a lower area we called The Pit. One night there were about a dozen of us down there, and no one was talking. We had about 30 visitors moving around, and I had my big dob on The Ring. Deathly quiet. Then a youngster climbed the ladder, looked into the eyepiece, and shouted:
"Holy #%&# Mom, it's a G%$# D^#$% Cheerio!"

"Jeffery!" shouted mom and dragged him off the ladder. Talk about breaking the ice! Everyone was laughing and talking and the rest of the night it was truly a star party.

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Not long ago at a public outreach event I was showing people the double star Rasalgethi when a viewer about 9 years old told his mom to "come look at this star called wrestle spaghetti!"

#3 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I have 10 and 13 year old boys who often observe with me, sometimes for hours. I get funny comments and questions a lot. One of them enjoys making fun of my older eyes. After I focus for my vision on a group of stars he will peer into the eyepiece and say, "Needs more focus..nice box of doughnuts Dad".

#4 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Not so much something a kid said... but was at either the Venus transit or the eclipse... and a kid came around and wanted all of our autographs. :)

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sure that wasn't the title to your scope???????

#6 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

A number of years ago during one windy winter's evening at Hyde Observatory, a little girl headed out to the main observing deck where our telescopes are. She put her hand on the doorknob and the wing abruptly blew the door open and knocked her on her behind. The girl was then heard to say, "D*@mn, it's outside!". Clear skies to you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics