Alignment Stars for DM-6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi All:

I have a new Tec 160FL on a new Discmounts DM-6 that I have been using for a couple weeks now. Tonight I would like to try the sky commander but I don't know much about the names of stars. I have a list of the stars that can be used for alignment in the SC but I don't know which to choose of those. I can't see Polaris from my backyard due to trees. I can see Capella (just learned the name of that one) but I want to observe early before the moon comes. I live in Arizona. Can anyone recommend 2 or more stars out early tonight that I could look up and use for alignment. Thanks much, Kent

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

You could try Almach, Deneb or Alpheratz. If you have an iPod or iPad or a android device, an app like SkySafari would help you a lot. I'm fairly new also and use my iPad to find stars by name when I don't know them.

#3 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Mike. I will take a look at those some time. I actually got everything working to my surprise. I don't own an iPad but I certainly wish I did. But I just bought one of those Skyscouts from Celestron and it works amazingly well. I chose 2 bright stars, identified what they were and then used them as alignment stars for the SC. After that I input several objects and they were practically right in the center of my viewfinder. I also wanted to see Neptune and Uranus but the seeing was not great and even though I tried over 300X I am not sure what I was seeing. Will have to try again some other time. But I saw lots of Messier objects and Alberio. Really great. Thanks again for your suggestions.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

There is a iPad app called ALT AZ ALIGN.

Cost $1.99

You tell it you have a Sky Commander and it already knows what stars are available for that controller. Then it picks the alignment stars for your date time and location that will give you the best accuracy. It also displays maps to help you find the stars in the sky.

There might be an application like this available to the PC as well.

#5 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

<< There is a iPad app called ALT AZ ALIGN. Cost $1.99 >>

Nice. I'll have to get this app. Sounds interesting and useful.

#6 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

There is a iPad app called ALT AZ ALIGN.

Cost $1.99

You tell it you have a Sky Commander and it already knows what stars are available for that controller. Then it picks the alignment stars for your date time and location that will give you the best accuracy. It also displays maps to help you find the stars in the sky.

There might be an application like this available to the PC as well.

Lane,

Could you verify the app name. Searching for ALT AZ ALIGN didn't bring up any apps.

Thanks,

#7 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

http://www.sibimon.net/node/2 This might be the one.

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

That's it.

I have never used it but others out here have reported that it works very well. I have a T-Rex with Sky Commander on the way so I will probably get it soon. I will post a review in the Software forum as soon as I have a chance to use it in the field.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics