Celestron power tank problem.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have the large 250 A Celestron 17 power tank...the one with radio, white and red lights, power take offs and other goodies. Anyway, I just discovered that it will no longer take a charge. My question is, can the unit be salvaged? Is the battery replaceable and is it worth the effort and cash to do so? The battery is at least 3 years old but I've always recharged it after a few months when it was standing idle. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Is this a solution? Suppose my charger is bad as was suggested above. Could I use an automobile charger which I always use for charging my boat and car batteries. I could hook up the charger cables directly to the jumping cables on the celestron power tank. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think it is possible to replace the battery to the unit as long as it can fit inside the cavity. There are some DIY guys who can do it for you if you ask around.

#3 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Al, it might be your wall-wart charger. I no longer use mine and use instead a Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger. Actually, I use two 2 bank versions to charge 4 batteries for my equipment. The Battery Tender will charge the Power Tank fully. Even though the Power Tank's LED says "Fully Charged" it's not. I charge mine via the alligator clips. Even if you do replace the battery, I suggest the Battery Tender for charging.

As for replacing the battery the Celestron website has instructions for how to do so in the on-line manual in this link: PowerTank 17. Click on "Support" then scroll to the " pdf manual".

My Power Tank 17 is over 5 years old and is still very reliable but it's not my main power source.

Also, I recharge it after EVERY use, and every few months of non-use.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Fred- that link to the Celestron website instruction doesn't go there... it's just looping back to this thread.

Gotta fix?

#5 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I second Fred1. I've replaced my powertank battery once after about 3 years and use a Walmart 2A battery charger to charge from the clips. I recharge every time I use it and never use the wall charger.

Charlie B

#6 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I charge mine via the alligator clips

Several folks have mentioned this- bypassing the stock charger's plug-in.

How is this done? Where does one attach their "clips" on the PowerTank for recharging?

Thanks for clarifying!

#7 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Answer to question above:

I believe Fred is saying that you charge using an automotive charger and jumper cables on power tank for charging. In other words, positive (red) to positive red on the power tank and same with negitive (black to black). I'm doing this right now and will let you know how it works.

#8 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Fred- that link to the Celestron website instruction doesn't go there... it's just looping back to this thread.

Gotta fix?

Oops!!! :foreheadslap: Fixed it. Thanks. :bow:

#9 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Answer to question above:

I believe Fred is saying that you charge using an automotive charger and jumper cables on power tank for charging. In other words, positive (red) to positive red on the power tank and same with negitive (black to black). I'm doing this right now and will let you know how it works.

Essentially correct but you want to use a slow charger. Althought a 2A charger is probably OK, the Battery Tender is a 1.25 amp charger, so it charges more slowly and more fully. When the PowerTank indicates "Fully Charged" don't believe it, let the Battery Tender do its thing, perhaps even for several hours more until it says it's fully charged. When it indicates a full charge, then you can be sure you got a 100% charged battery. You can leave it connected and it will trickle charge to maintain a full charge after it reaches full charge status.

#10 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Well, thanks to Fred, my problem is solved. I charged the power tank using an automotive type charger. I switched the power tank to recharge then used the jumper cables on the tank to the alligator clips on the charger and let it go for a few hours. Thanks Fred!

#11 Robert70

Robert70

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Garden State: NJ

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I thought my Orion Dynamo Pro17 was dead. I have a tender and just hooked it up. Red light blinking on the tender. all good...hope it works! thanks. edit: the light on the tank that indicates charging is not lite. Is this normal?

#12 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

There is no need to flip the switch to recharge. That switch is only for the wall charger or to switch power to the radio and 12vdc plugs.

Charlie B

#13 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

I thought my Orion Dynamo Pro17 was dead. I have a tender and just hooked it up. Red light blinking on the tender. all good...hope it works! thanks. edit: the light on the tank that indicates charging is not lite. Is this normal?

Mine is doing the same. My charging light is also not lit, so I wouldn't worry about it. One other thing...the light for fully charged on my power tank IS now lit but don't believe it. Keep charging for a while longer. By the way, I'm using a charger which allows me to set the charging rate, which I set at less than 2 amps.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I ...used the jumper cables on the tank to the alligator clips on the charger and let it go for a few hours. Thanks Fred!

Yes! Thank you both, gentlemen! My PT is the Orion version, and is still fairly new- i've had no issues... thus far. But i may look at the "Tender" unit in the near future- to prolong the PT's useful life.

:bow:

#15 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Mine is doing the same. My charging light is also not lit, so I wouldn't worry about it. One other thing...the light for fully charged on my power tank IS now lit but don't believe it. Keep charging for a while longer. By the way, I'm using a charger which allows me to set the charging rate, which I set at less than 2 amps.

I'm glad I was able to help but I'm sorry that I can't address your latest question. I always set my PowerTank switch to "Charge" even when using the alligator clips with the Battery Tender and the Powertank's LEDs work, except I ignore them and rely on the "Tender" to tell me its fully charged. It was a habit I started with the wall-wart and never looked back.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics