• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Erik30

Erik30

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. I have been out of the hobby for a little over 3 years and getting back into it. It has been so long my old Cloudynights user id will not accept a change password request.

A little background on myself.

I was overseas for 2.5 years working for a computer networking company. While I was gone I let a friend of mine use my Celestron CG-5 mount and CR6. Well, when I returned I decided I was going to go out and observe. I went to pick up the mount and scope. The mount looks like it was thrown out of a moving truck at 60mph. The case is cracked, the polar scope is missing, the counter weights are rusty, the tripod looks like it was stored in the back of a dump truck. Now, I had issues with this mount like crazy unprompted slews and randomly powering down, but nothing someone with patience cannot work on. I asked my "friend" what the hell happened?!? His reply, "I couldn't get it to work and forgot about it" umm so how the hell did it get all the damage? :flame: :flame:

Anyway, it is time for a new mount. After researching and reading and reading some more I decided to go with the iOptron ieq45. I was going to go with a CGEM DX for imaging, but my experiences with Celestron left a bad taste.

I currently have an Orion 80ED, the CR6 and a Zhumell 10 dob. I also just picked up a Starshoot auto guider that is with a Meade 8x50 straight through finder. I was imaging with a Meade DSI CCD before I left but have an old Canon 10d I think I will try.

I don't think the iOptron will have an issue carrying the 80ED, Canon, and guide scope and auto guider. I haven't checked the weight on it yet but I'm sure I'm under 25lbs.

Questions for the group:

What software have you tried with this mount for controlling it? Sky X, etc..

Has anyone sent their mount out to be hyper tuned? If so, what improved the most?

Any major issues or headaches come up when viewing?

I will be using this mount for both visual and imaging and I think I made the right purchase.

Again thank you everyone for the great reviews and talking about the issues with all the mounts that are available.

-Erik

#2 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Erik,

Welcome back. I don't have the answers for you but there are several members with the same mount who I'm sure will have some answers for you. :)

Best, Linda B.

#3 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

I decided to go with the iOptron ieq45. I was going to go with a CGEM DX for imaging, but my experiences with Celestron left a bad taste.

Funny conclusion: The problem doesn't seem to have related to the mount itself but your "friend". If he had crashed your car I doubt you would blame the design of the car (though he might do so) :) But the iOptron looks like a sound choice and the 80ED, too.

The Canon 10D may frustrate you compared to a more modern DSLR with live view and an articulated LCD for use in focusing -- and a lower level of noise when shooting at higher ISOs (e.g., 1600).

Otherwise it sounds like you're on your way, Erik!

#4 Erik30

Erik30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Your right Phil. I just had a lot of other "issues" with the CG5 mount before I left. I just didn't post them.

I also have been thinking about a T3i, but might go the CCD route instead.

#5 Erik30

Erik30

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Linda,

I see you are in Minneapolis, I'm in Cottage Grove. Are you in the Minnesota Astronomical Society? I was thinking about bring the CG5 to the next meeting to see if anyone wanted to try and repair it. I think it could be a good outreach mount. (And you could see the mess this mount is in). I actually was able to get it to slew to targets last night in the house. (Using StarWalk on the iPhone for general locations)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics