• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#51 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Lets remember the original topic is ScopeCity.

#52 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Sorry Herb. Does seem to have been pretty much summed up though, don't do business with ScopeCity, they're closed. IIRC at least one of the CN members here used to be affiliated, but is on his own now. And I seem to remember reading something quite some time back about them closing.

#53 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

:cool:Just a reminder that is all.

#54 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I just want to remind everyone also about what paypal told me while they were helping me get through to socpecity when they did this same thing to me. I spoke with a paypal rep on the phone about this issue and was told that if you have ordered an item from anyone, anyone at all and it looks like it might not get to you within the 45 days, FILE a claim with paypal for item not received. He said that they would rather have someone submit a claim that might have to be closed because the item has arrived rather than have a customer miss the deadline and not receive their item and not be able to get a refund. So don't forget file a claim if the deadline is getting close, you can always close it.

#55 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Great advice.

#56 scopeboy42

scopeboy42

Messenger

• Loc: Garner, NC USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

I just drove over there to check out Scope City. It is definitely closed. This is their main store in Simi valley, CA.

Can we assume that Parks Optical (next door and the same owner) is closed as well?

#57 Reid W

Reid W

Vostok 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Upgraded to a claim. They have 10 days to respond.

#58 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Scope City 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Scope City unconditionally guarantees that you will be 100% satisfied with your mail order purchase, or just
return the merchandise in original condition within 15 days for a Full Refund, less shipping and handling charges!

:whistle:

#59 Astro88

Astro88

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

If they are continuing to accept orders and payments, but not delivering anything and refusing refunds, you can file a complaint with the state's Attorney General (http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general). It doesn't cost anything, and if there is fraud, the Attorney General's office will take them to court - you don't need to.

However, if they simply fell on hard times, and went out of business after you placed an order, then there is probably not much you can do, and the States Attorney probably won't get involved.

#60 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Scope City and Parks are closed.
Lumicon was purchased by Marc & Debbie Neveux and is up and running and shipping again.
The website is still up probably because the web host hasn't noticed the business is closed.
I left there in early February 2012 and the last Scope City employee left on Nov.1 and is now working at Woodland Hills Camera.
As far as I know, SC is not currently operating.
There may be a liquidation sale in the near future--keep your eyes open.

#61 GpB311

GpB311

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Aside from here, any suggestions about where such a sale might be announced? Would they update the site for that?

#62 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Someone here might catch it and post about it. Just keep an eye on their site.

#63 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Doubtful there would be a lot to liquidate. A lot of these businesses don't "own" their inventory. It is "on loan" from the mfg...most of it will go back. Most of what is left over will be used scopes/mounts and accessories (filters, collimaters, eyepieces, etc). Not that there won't be some bargains, but don't expect everything they had in the store to be up for grabs. Truthfully, I hate seeing anyone in this business go bust. I'd rather have them up and running...

#64 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

yet their website scopecity.com continues to be able to accept orders? That's a terrible thing and the word should be spread that they are no longer in business.

#65 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

If they are continuing to accept orders and payments, but not delivering anything and refusing refunds, you can file a complaint with the state's Attorney General (http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general). It doesn't cost anything, and if there is fraud, the Attorney General's office will take them to court - you don't need to.

However, if they simply fell on hard times, and went out of business after you placed an order, then there is probably not much you can do, and the States Attorney probably won't get involved.

If they file for bankruptcy you can file claim against them in court.

Stan

#66 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

"If they file for bankruptcy you can file claim against them in court."

Costing you extra $$$$; and believe me, the creditors will get paid before you do. Chances are you'll end up with nothing, maybe a penny or two on the dollar if you're lucky. Sorry, that's just the way business law works....

#67 Dave Hederich

Dave Hederich

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

The main question would be if they continued to process credit card payments from the website after they were "out of business." That has to fall into a different classification than simply closing down the store and "forgetting" to shut down the website.

#68 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hope they don't turn out to be another Pocono...

#69 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Oh brilliant... just trying to recover my money with Paypal, but because it's gone past 45 days they won't allow me to dispute it. The problem is when dealing with the US (I'm in the UK), things can quite feasibly take more than 6 weeks to arrive, so that is an annoying system Paypal have there.

It's concerning that their could still be people going onto that website and placing and payign for orders. It looks like i've lost my $90. :'(

I am not sure if you have any recourse. Hopefully there is something you can do... The local Scope City closed down several months ago.

Scope City Closes its doors

Jon

The complaint on the BBB site dated 1-6-2012 I find curious. :question:

http://www.santabarb...-Supplies/Sc...

And the website is still up as of today?

#70 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

If you were stateside this'd be grounds for a lawsuit on the otherhand I never would've let it go beyond thirty days without stopping the process.
Its too bad.

I'd contact the states attorney too. Alas you r across the pond and they know they've got you over a barrel. You could make a free google viewable website presenting your case and others. You still wont get your money back but you'll be acting constructively in warning others - IF infact they are the thieves this thread portrays them as.

#71 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

And the website is still up as of today?

Not only is the website still up, when you click on "Store Locator" you get:

"Visit Scope City showrooms throughout California with more showrooms in other
states Coming Soon!"

#72 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hope they don't turn out to be another Pocono...

I thought they already were.

#73 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, CA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Doubtful there would be a lot to liquidate. A lot of these businesses don't "own" their inventory.

I don't know about that. I was at their Simi Valley location about two months ago and they had some amazing specimens. I'm talking 8-10" brass refractors. I don't remember the specifics as I only had a glance, but they had a lot of awesome scopes and tons of parts laying around to boot. If they liquidate, the Simi Valley location is where all the good stuff is

-James

#74 Reid W

Reid W

Vostok 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Scope City's 10 day window to respond to Pay Pal has passed. Due to the non-response of Scope City, Pay Pal has returned my money today. Thanks Pay Pal. If you have not received your order, don't let your time expire to collect a refund from your credit card company or pay pal.

#75 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Glad you were able to get your refund via paypal. They have always come through when I have had a claim and from now on when a delivery is looking like it will come after the time limit I will for sure file a claim just in case.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics