• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Gregen

Gregen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

It is sad that such a good store has gone down the rocks with its customers. Some of the telescopes in the store are soo nice. One is from the early 1900s and I bet it and all others are just collecting dust with hundreds of other great things. If only they could pull out of these times and this great store would continue. :( :bawling:

#102 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

I doubt it if they are still paying for it.

Well, there's a couple options there. First, if they are monthly, then they are paying for their hosting services. I have had several hosting companies, and they give you a grace period of at most a few days, and if you don't pay, your site is taken down (I had a credit card expire I was using to maintain the site and didn't realize it, that's how I know). The other option is they are paid well in advance; many hosting companies prefer to get an annual payment, and the offer a discount for the larger, upfront fees. If they are paid well through a certain time period, the hosting company doesn't know if the company is out of business - they'll keep hosting it until the contract is up, which could be a while, perhaps.

It wouldn't stay up if it hadn't been paid (or at least, I highly doubt it would). I'm pretty sure of that. But it may not have anything to do with current payments - it could be pre-paid into the future a ways.

#103 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Old thread, but I thought this would be an interesting end to it, considering the timing...

I started reading these threads last night, surprised that ScopeCity was in trouble! I went to their website, and sure enough, it seemed to be functioning. I came back to these threads today, just to finish reading them, and decided to try the website again. It looks like someone finally pulled the plug as the pages are now completely blank!

#104 Momerath

Momerath

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate SC,

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nope still functioning. I just went there at 20:30 on 5/5/13. I sure hope no one buys anything from them and gets stuck!

#105 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Their shopping cart is down, so they can't take orders. They need to just go away...

#106 collaredkeeper

collaredkeeper

Vostok 1

• Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

They are still selling stuff....what the heck!

Check out the SBIG ST-8300M for $1995! Not only is this old stock (SBIG isn't even selling them anymore), but it's the same price as their new STF models.

One last and important thing is this phrase they are using in the listing:
"DUE TO PERSISTENT BACK-ORDER STATUS, EXPECT A 1-MONTH OR LONGER DELAY FOR DELIVERY" Sounds like close to the same amount of delay paypal needs before closing the ability to dispute the problem.

Why are these guys still out there? I feel bad for the guys who've gotten scammed by them.

P.s. their cart is still alive and working, so I don't believe they are just parking their domain name. Maybe a change in service or management?

EDIT: Appears the cart doesn't actually work, thanks for the comments. You can ignore this post, it looks like they are out of business and just letting their website carry on.

#107 Bright_Light

Bright_Light

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Can't someone in Cali see if the store is in fact open.?Yes, indeed this could be a scam. Copyright at the bottom reflects 2014. A who.is check says its inactive and expires Nov 2014.

#108 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

They are still selling stuff....what the heck!

Just like one year ago, checkout is shut down. This is what happens when you click the checkout button.

Attached Files

#109 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Can't someone in Cali see if the store is in fact open.?Yes, indeed this could be a scam. Copyright at the bottom reflects 2014. A who.is check says its inactive and expires Nov 2014.

Either earlier in this thread or another one, the stores have been reported closed.

My last contact with the SF store was around September 2012.

#110 collaredkeeper

collaredkeeper

Vostok 1

• Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

I think that solves it then, that and the checkout is not "fully" working. It must definitely be closing with the webhosting probably paid for until Nov. Thanks for that research, it's unfortunate as someone spent a lot of time developing the website and business.

#111 Glen A W

Glen A W

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

It was a business that time passed by. I thought it was a miracle they kept going as long as they did. The Parks products were just about the best in their day. Their day was thirty or forty years ago, though! The fiberglass tubes were particularly famous.

Actual stores where you can look at scopes are something many of us will never see. I make a point of visiting any which are near places I travel to, just to see what's going on. Not much, usually.

Glen

#112 samovu

samovu

Ranger 4

• Loc: So CA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

I think they may be under new ownership. Will visit in the next week a report. Data from the past:

- Noticed them when visiting a nearby company back maybe August of last year and they were not open for business. Looked like they had gone out of business.

- A few months ago it looked like someone was putting things in order (I stopped by again and looked inside) but no way to contact, phone or otherwise as I recall.

- A couple of months ago I stopped by again when I saw an "Open" sign but the door was locked. It did look like there was a business going on inside and there was a handwritten note stating that everyone was "in the back" and to call the indicated number which I did. No answer.

- About an hour later the owner of that number (and presumably the proprietor) called back. When I explained that I had tried to reach him earlier to come in he was apologetic and described that there was a lot of noise out back and that he didn't hear the phone ring. That happens to me too. Sounded like they were opening up and he had plans to offer education and other astronomy related services. Don't ask me what all that means as it sounded good but I don't recall the details.

So I will drop by again in the next week or two and let folks know if they are open for walk in business.

Cheers,
John

#113 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

An open sign but the door was locked? Handwritten note that everyone was out "back"? Call the number and no one answers. Someone calls back and says "sorry...there was too much noise to hear the phone? I'm sorry but what a bunch of knuckle heads. Do they know ANYTHING about running a business? Just because it's astronomy gear why are we expected to put up with that type of business model...come on guys...you open a store to make money.Bottom line. If you dont know how to do that then forget it...John

#114 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Scope city is CLOSED period. You can contact Lumicon in Simi Valley CA. They acquired some of product from the San Fran. store when it closed. The manager/owner also went to Lumicon.

#115 samovu

samovu

Ranger 4

• Loc: So CA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Yup, no more Scope City. The new sign at that location reads: Parks Science and Astronomy Center. Not sure why the Scope City website is still up. This new establishment was open for business.

#116 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

I tried to buy a planetary capture device from scope city a few years ago and they were not paying their vendor bills. Therefore the vendors were not shipping them any product. I finally had to get the bbb involved to get something for the money they received up front for the device which they kept saying would be shipped any day. I finally called the vendor and they were the ones that told me that they would not send any product to scope city because they were not paying for product.
The funny thing about parks is that they have always been at the simi valley site, so were they operating scope city like a radio shack franchise or vice versa.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics