• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ashfall

Ashfall

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pearland, Texas

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Anyone else observing the Io transit tonight? The GRS will be chasing Io and it's shadow. I'm excited because of the beautiful seeing conditions here after a long humid summer.

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Shadow at 9:15 CST, with Io following. I plan to be out.

#3 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

Being out on a trip back to So. Cal. for a week , I caught this thread late in the afternoon . By the looks of things it seemed seeing and transparency would be good to go . All I had to my disposal was my 1958 vintage Tasco 7T . Yep , my 54 year old 60mm on its EQ mount along with its set of budget Owl Plossls .
I missed the shadow but by the time I slapped in the 10mm Plossl with a #15 yellow filter threaded into the bottom of it , I was able to catch the brightening of Io sitting in the SEB about to come off the limb . And there was the GRS too ! I watched as the pimple of Io started to come to a head and pop . The seeing was no less that excellent and at 91x with an exit pupil of .66mm , this is no doubt the best imagery of Jupiter I've seen through my classic little 60 so far .
Just wishing I would have gotten out a little earlier .
Anyway , thanks for the heads up . I may not have gotten out with it if I'd missed the thread .
This old classic is a true gem !
:jump:

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Watched the first 30 minutes of the shadow transit through my CPC1100 but it was getting late and chilly so I did not stay for the whole show. Seeing maybe 3/5 and the shadow was right on the SEB at entry. Nice to have Sir Jupiter back for evening viewing!

#5 Ashfall

Ashfall

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pearland, Texas

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

It was a good show. The next one is the night of 11/14, beginning an hour later with the shadow appearing at 11:15 pm CST. This time it looks like IO will ride right on the GRS.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics