CGEM to CGEM DX tripod update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I just bought a "monster" tripod on eBay. It is supposed to upgrade my CGEM to have a much sturdier tripod. Supposedly the CGEM DX tripod is the same as the tripod used on the CGE Pro. The eBay ad says the tripod they sold me is the same as the CGE Pro tripod but with a removable adapter which will allow me to attach my CGEM onto it. Apparently they didn't ship any adapter.

My question is for those who have a CGEM DX. Does your tripod have an adapter? Or does your tripod have a top plate that does not remove?

The attached photo shows my CGEM tripod along with the tripod I got on eBay. Does anyone know about any adapter? I contacted the store on eBay but their eBay guy is gone for a week. I'm curious to know what might be involved here. Is the tripod I have the one for the CGE Pro? The box says Celestron #93487 CGE-2A tripod.

Attached Files

#2 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have a CGEM DX. The tripod is the same as the one you have (the CGE Pro tripod). It does have an adapter that fits over the top and provides the mounting surface for the CGEM. I don't have a pic handy, but I will try to get one posted (if no one else chimes in soon with one). Check around in the packing (even on the back sides of the foam) and see if may be hidden in there somewhere. If not, hopefully your seller can send you one.

... a quick edit

Here is a link that shows the adapter on the tripod (scroll down the page about half way)

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2666

Chris

#3 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Does anyone know about any adapter? Is the tripod I have the one for the CGE Pro?

The large tripod to the right in your photo is definitely a CGE Pro tripod. You are correct - you are missing the adapter. Here's what the tripod top looks like after the adapter has been installed:

Attached Files

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Wow, that was fast. Thanks Chris and Dave. You totally answered my questions. I was worried I might have to send the tripod back but I really like it. I guess I will have to wait a week to get them to send me the adapter plate.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics