Couple Minutes With Jove

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Got a quick 40 minutes to observe Jupiter in 8/10 seeing 7 Nov beginning around 1530 to about 1610UT. One of the most striking features was the rift in the NEB. Also, some lighter spots seemed to be trailing the rift toward the following limb. One pretty distinct spot just preceding the festoon near the following limb was very apparent. I had not seen this side of Jupiter yet. (Sys I 240)

Very faint belt in the SSTZ, glimpsed a couple times...I think. Very difficult.

Ganymede was just off the preceding limb. Spurred by reports of bands on Uranus and another thread on "stupid Magnification," I cranked mine to 480x (6mm TMB and 1.5x Barlow) to observe Ganymede.

After about 15 minutes, I was convinced I was gonna see all there was to see on Ganymede. A darker preceding limb, a touch north was pretty well evident. Enough to "log it." During that time, I kept seeing a brighter spot kind of "dancing" in and out in the south. It was persistent enough to be logged and sketched. Also, maybe, just maybe a tiny bright spot in the north. It got sketched.

Imagine my surprise when checking JPL sim. Image inset, pretty close. In fact, the inset is about as small as Ganymede appeared to be at the eyepiece. Not far off, anyway. I'd urge others to give Ganymede a shot, something can be seen. I succeeded last year, as well. Try it!

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Ah, here's a better look at the inset (reversed to match my view.)

Attached Files

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Norme that's asuperb sketch. Last year I never once got seeing to allow the detail to pop with the 8". You may recall I was observing from a factories parkinglot - in which I was busted and then they lit it up forever like Shea Stadium. At anyrate I believe the nearby smokestack was at fault for the chronic 3-4 pickering seeing and so the moons were resolved but forever suffering from atmosphsric refraction.

I'm glad to see you got ceftain resjlts here including the xmas baubble color it seems to have (hst shows it well while sat pix mak ut look like its planet chocolate). The polar pip is remiscent of Mars isn't it? The maria is well shown too. Ill tell you ever since Carlos Hernandez drew that thin thin light colored albedo called Galilleo Regio. It looks like it'd be this fine tickle of detail but I don't kno if Id ever get it. His mak
has that higher res so maybe its forever only there in bigger aperture? Its on my wishlist anyway.

The tufted split in the NEB was interesting that anx again my fav jove feature the festoons.

Ok this typed from my android I'm escaping now before ghe typos spin too outta control.

Pete

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

The thin line borders galileo regio sorry.

Pete.

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Pete, I get a kick seeing you in the parking lot when the lights come on, black SUVs drive up, chopper overhead...

Yea, seeing helps very much. But, even 8/10 Ganymede is still difficult. It does boil and roll. The sketch is much cleaner than the actual view. And it takes time to pull those features out. They more "tend" to be there than clearly visible. But, there really is no mistaking them. Not sure the names of those features, gotta look them up, again.

There is some similarity to Mars when it is very far away. Kind of reminds me of the way Uranus looks, too. The "pip" on the pole is just a dancing white spot that "tends" to appear and disappear, but always right near the pole.

I really hope you can find a nice site and find the time to observe Jupiter in the coming weeks. If seeing permits, crank up the power.

Hey, they typos are, well, understandable. Touch screen? Heck, if not for spell check my posts would be all typos. :)

#6 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Stupendous work, Norme! 8/10 seeing may not be perfect, but certainly warrants "stupid" magnification in my book. You're ability to reveal detail from the surface of Ganymede is impressive, and gives me something to consider when the seeing finally settles down in "Nor'easter-ville". The accuracy of your observation is awesome.

Oh, Jupiter looks good, too. ;)

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Norme

Nicer sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thank you, guys. One thing included on this sketch that I've omitted from other sketches is the limb darkening on the preceding limb. It does appear greater on the preceding limb.

Others have commented on the hue in the NTZ. It was pretty obvious weeks ago, and still might be present a bit.

#9 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

hi Norme:
You used 150mm with 480x, right !?
When it´s right :bow:...
I had very good seeing & excellent scope too.

Bye
Christian

>I cranked mine to 480x (6mm TMB and 1.5x Barlow) to observe Ganymede.<

#10 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

Detail on Ganymede :waytogo:

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Detail on Ganymede :waytogo:

Yep. Christian, Jef, giver a look see.

Edit: Er, well, maybe not. Curious. Here's an image at nearly the same time showing the darker patch more to the south on Ganymede's limb closer to Jupiter. Weird, cuz JPL sim shows it as I do. Surely the image is current and cannot lie, unless some filter or processing technique enhanced Ganymede in some way.

Dunno, I'm confused. Can the JPL sim actually be off? I think we had that discussion once before. Well, if so, then I am seeing things and not the darker albedo feature I thought was there. Got the bright spot right, it seems. Hummm...

By Teruaki Kumamori about half way down...
http://alpo-j.asahik...12/j121107z.htm

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

The polar pip is in the south and galilleo rdgio is onthe limb facing jupiter... looks right to me according to the link image.

Pete

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Ah, I know why...because of the way I presented Ganymede in the sketch. I should have framed it better. Instead, I just moved it over from the left side to the right without changing the orientation. So, the dark patch would be away from Jupiter's limb as I saw it and JPL agreed.

#14 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Norme,

This is a very impressive pick up of Jupiter with some faint but detectable features and especially any detail on Ganymede. Once you do this it gets easier to see in the future and the matching will be better too.
Great work always from you. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#15 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Frank, your correct. I've done it before in great seeing. At least according to JPL sim that seems to agree. I mean the dark patch is there. The brighter spot is, too.

I looked again last night with Ganymede a bit removed from it's position on the 7th, but close enough. Again, I think the dark patch is on the limb away from Jupiter.

Just not sure why that CCD image shows it differently. Got me stumped and questioning the observation.

#16 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Norme.

Your sketches of Jupiter are very nice.

Andre.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics