•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flea 3 on Mac

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jamey Erickson

Jamey Erickson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Considering getting a Flea 3 for planetary stuff, but they say they aren't "technically" compatible with a Mac. Anyone using one on a Mac and/or have a better suggestion if the Flea isn't the right call?

#2 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

You can definitely use a Flea3 on a Mac provided your Mac has a firewire port. I assume you are talking about firewire enabled Flea3.

#3 mikotoy

mikotoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well AstroIIDC is no more, so what else could he use for image acquisition on a Mac?

#4 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

• Loc: Poland

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Installing Windows.

#5 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I've successfully run Firecapture in Windows 7 on my Mac, using VmWare Fusion. I don't have a flea3, though. I've only done this with the Firefly MV I bought off ebay, which is USB2. I would think that you could run a firewire, USB2 or Ethernet driven camera that way as well, but I don't know about USB3 (since Macs don't have USB3 ports, you'd need an adapter for something like Thunderbolt, and I don't know if there is one yet, or whether Windows would see it).

I sprung for the Golden Key for Astro IIDC. It was just too bithcen a software package not to! And I'm still hoping that Milton will bring it back in the years to come, as the economy improves.

-Tim.

#6 Whaleboy

Whaleboy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I sprung for the Golden Key for Astro IIDC. It was just too bithcen a software package not to! And I'm still hoping that Milton will bring it back in the years to come, as the economy improves.

-Tim.

I bought astro ii dc right after he announced it was going away, and over the next couple moths only had time to do a little imaging. I decided not to go for the golden key offer as I felt it was just too much. After messing around with both that and other windows packages, I decided that astro ii dc simply worked better for me than the alternatives. I decided I better get the key after all, but only came to that decision on Nov 4... 4 days too late. I wrote him, but no go. Now I pray nothing happens to that Mac.

-David

#7 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Keep his email addy. When that Mac dies, he might let you transfer the license.

Tim

#8 Jamey Erickson

Jamey Erickson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

So Astro IIDC is the only hope on the Mac, eh? I'm not installing Windows as that's a bit pointless to have for just one piece of software. Looks like my hesitation was two weeks to long.

#9 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I haven't looked at Keith's Image Stacker in a long time, but you might give that a try.

-Tim.

#10 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

I know Alan Friedman uses a Mac for all his captures and processing, but I don't know what camera he uses. You can find his webpage here:

http://avertedimagin...n.com/main1.htm

Paul

Considering getting a Flea 3 for planetary stuff, but they say they aren't "technically" compatible with a Mac. Anyone using one on a Mac and/or have a better suggestion if the Flea isn't the right call?

#11 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

David Illig has posted a bunch of astro software links on his web page:

Software for Macs

-Tim.

#12 Jamey Erickson

Jamey Erickson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Looks like there's still some options for me, but very limited, being I'm on a Macbook Air w/ no Firewire Ports. Might have to do some fancy footwork to get a USB version to work.

#13 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Is your Air recent enough to have the Thunderbolt port? You might be able to find firewire and other adapters for it, if so.

-Tim.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics