• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Faraway

Faraway

Sputnik

• Loc: A white zone

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi,

Is there anyway to change the relative size of objects on Cart du Ceil? For example, Cart du Ceil sizes objects by magnitude, making the diffuse nebulae that are my target extremely tiny -- so tiny that I can't find them on the chart!

Is there anyway to blow them up nice and big?

#2 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Please post a screenshot of your issue with CdC.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Cartes doesn't size things by their magnitude. If an object is too small on your screen, why not just zoom in? Or you can change from "image" to "symbol."

#4 Faraway

Faraway

Sputnik

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. I am actually trying to learn to navigate from printed star charts, so I can't zoom in. What is this "image" and "symbol" setting that you speak of?

Bascially, I'm trying to blow up specific objects on the cart. For example, lately I've just been hunting nebulae: how do I make nebulae really, really big on a printed chart so that they are easy to find?

Attached Files

#5 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Not possible. I suggest you create individual charts for your targets at satisfactory zoom levels. Thanks for posting a screenshot. I suspected an unusual twist in your query.

You have come up with a feature "wish" that would probably horrify planetarium programmers aournd the world. They dedicate their skills and time to creating something accurate for position and/or size, etc.

Clear skies

#6 Faraway

Faraway

Sputnik

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

You have come up with a feature "wish" that would probably horrify planetarium programmers aournd the world. They dedicate their skills and time to creating something accurate for position and/or size, etc.

Clear skies

:ooo:

Just wait until you see my modernized constellation template; I've replaced Orion with Justin Beiber holding a microphone.

Are you a programmer for Cartes? If so, you have a very lovely program. I was asking a question rather than making a feature request, but as long as you're here and I'm here, I'll make a feature request that should spare the international community of planetarium programs any undue alarm.

How about the ability to magnify parts of the map? See below. This would preserve the integrity of the map, while allowing you to print off a sizable chart of the sky and still view small symbols on it.

Beats squinting at a map in the dark =/ . If that's not amenable to the good people who made this program, I suppose I can always circle them with a red pen. :)

Attached Files

#7 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I am not a programmer. I try to help with programs I use and know something about.

There is a discussion group for CdC. I believe this is the link:

http://tech.groups.y...art-discussion/

You can't change the CdC icon/symbol sizes, but you can increase the font size of the deep sky labels. Have you tried that? It might work for you.

Lateral thinking, eh?

Attached Files

#8 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Even Bigger!

Label overlap can become a problem.

Attached Files

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Just for completeness, the label overlap can be solved by moving them around.

There is a work-around for the symbol sizes, but it's not an easy fix. What you could do is take a catalog such as the SAC list (Saguaro Astronomy Club), change the object dimensions in the spreadsheet and then use CATGEN to turn it into CdC's DSO catalog.

#10 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

I apologize for this overstatement.

I recently bought SkyTools 3 Standard Edition ($99.95, a steal!). When I wrote the above comment, I was exploring and learning the program.

SkyTools 3 Standard Edition allows increase of the size of celestial chart symbols. Used well and with some restraint, it is close to what you want.

SkyTools 3 from Skyhound

#11 Faraway

Faraway

Sputnik

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi again folks,

Thanks for trying to help. Today, I've actually become aware of an existing feature in Cartes that does just this (and more). Finder circles achieve the same effect. Basically, I'm trying to be able to locate small items on large maps.

I hear absolutely wonderful things about Skytools. I still need to demo some other software before committing to something commercially. Maybe I should just learn to use Cartes though. I find it a wee bit confusing (and I'm far from computer illiterate), but I keep discovering new things that it can do.

Tell me, how did you insert those square overlays onto your map? What do they do?

#12 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

The square "overlays" are nebulae in line mode for deep sky objects. You'll find the button for line mode in the first tab under the display options. Open clusters are dashed line circles. A globular cluster is a circle with a crosshair.

And just to make it interesting: the button for contour outlines (e.g., the distinctive shape of the California Nebula) can be found in the lines tab. The button is DSO lines. AARGH!

Have fun! CdC can certainly keep you busy. Remember to leave some time for observing!

Clear skies,

Attached Files

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yes, I'd definitely learn Cartes first; especially since the operation of other software, and the way objects are portrayed onscreen, how zoom works, etc., if very similar to CdC. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics