Photo

Problem with PGR Flea3 camera. Don @ PGR, help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi Don,

As you have suggested, I contacted support@ptgrey.com

I sent them all necessary screenshots, and test text file.

Akhila pointed me out that my given camera does not support 31fr per second at full resolution and 16 bit data.
It is OBSOLETE model camera. I have purchased this camera being based on official information at PGR side, where it was clearly stated that my Flea3 has 31 fps at full resolution and 16 bit data.

I purchased the camera in September and used it only a few times. It is under warranty.

I would request for free of charge replacement for a model which corresponds to what was written on the PGR web site.

I am extremely disappointed by such PGR behavior - selling obsolete cameras instead of new ones.

What should I do and, can you, please, help me with such replacement?

Thanks.

#2 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Side question - do you really need to use the 16-bit data format? (some solar imaging?)

#3 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Side question - do you really need to use the 16-bit data format? (some solar imaging?)

Yes, I really need it.

If I were not need it, I 'd better buy DMK from my local dealer.

#4 DonAtPointGrey

DonAtPointGrey

Vendor - Point Grey

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hi Valery,

Something sounds wrong. The Flea3 camera line up is all new. There are (as far as I know) *no* obsolete cameras in this line. So I can't believe that they sold you an obsolete camera. There is some misunderstanding I think.

Please PM me your serial number and support ticket and I will talk to support about what is going on.

Thanks,
Don

#5 ValeryD

ValeryD

Vendor (Aries)

• Vendors

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi Valery,

Something sounds wrong. The Flea3 camera line up is all new. There are (as far as I know) *no* obsolete cameras in this line. So I can't believe that they sold you an obsolete camera. There is some misunderstanding I think.

Please PM me your serial number and support ticket and I will talk to support about what is going on.

Thanks,
Don

Hi Don,

It was indeed obsolete camera, at least not a new one. The firmware was dated early 2011.

However, Akhila from PGR support kindly supported me and I received all necessary help. I have upgraded the camera to the latest firmware and now it works via USB 3.0 to GigE adapter with 31fps at 16bit and full resolution. However it does not work at 60 fps at 8 bit! ;)

I expected that with this upgrade the speed at 8 bit will be 2x higher! But this is not the case!

I will check out the PGR website and see if the Flea3 should work at 60fps at full resolution and 8 bit.

#6 chonum

chonum

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

If it is an ICX445, it doesn't.

#7 DonAtPointGrey

DonAtPointGrey

Vendor - Point Grey

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hi Don,

It was indeed obsolete camera, at least not a new one. The firmware was dated early 2011.

However, Akhila from PGR support kindly supported me and I received all necessary help. I have upgraded the camera to the latest firmware and now it works via USB 3.0 to GigE adapter with 31fps at 16bit and full resolution. However it does not work at 60 fps at 8 bit! ;)

I expected that with this upgrade the speed at 8 bit will be 2x higher! But this is not the case!

I will check out the PGR website and see if the Flea3 should work at 60fps at full resolution and 8 bit.

Hi Valery,

First - I did track down the support ticket you opened and it looks like it all ended up ok, so I'm glad about that.

I was surprised when you said "obsolete camera" - but now I understand, since I view hardware and firmware differently. The hardware was not obsolete, but the firmware was, I get it!

We do try to put out new firmware with improvements to cameras, but these don't often make it into the shipped product as soon as I'd like. This is definitely something we can improve on. :(

Regarding the camera speed - this differs depending on the camera. On some cameras, you would be right that the 8-bit image would come 2x faster than the 16-bit image - this happens if the camera is interface-bandwidth-limited.

However, on this camera 31 fps is the top speed of the CCD at that pixel clock, so that is the fastest the images can be clocked out of the sensor. 8-bit images will use about 300 Mbits/s interface bandwidth, and 16-bit images will use about 600 Mbits/s. GigE has about 800 available (less than 1000 due to the protocol overhead), so this camera is not interface-bandwidth limited.

If you try the 2x2 binning mode (640x480) the speed should just about double as the data clocked out of the sensor will be cut by 50%.

I hope this helps. I was very happy to hear that the USB3-to-GigE adapter worked for you!

Don

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics