Windows Phone 8 is coming...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I am really impressed with Windows Phone 8. I actually am dumping my iPhone 4, skipping iPhone 5 and instead getting a Nokia lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8. I've been doing a lot of research and the way MS is supporting developers, allowing them to keep more of the money, and having apps work on phones/tablets/laptops/computers without code changes means developers only need to make one version.

By Mid-2013 most of the best and most popular iPhone and Android apps will be available on WP8. The problem is that Astonomy apps are such a niche market that there is some concern.

I'd like to see Sky Safari on WP8 as that is the one I use the most. Maybe another developer will be the first.

#2 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I like the commercial of the new Win 8 Tablets with dockable keyboards and stands. Would be nice if we could get SkySafari or especially SkyTools on Win 8 RT or phone. That would likely make me give up my laptop.

#3 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

I don't think you will see a Windows version of SkySafari anytime soon....

Andy

#4 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Warrington, UK

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

I think you're being wildly optimistic on the apps side. Most devs are going to wait and see if the platform gets popular before porting, especially as MS haven't made it that easy for us at all. My own apps are heavily OpenGL based, porting to android is ok but windows would be a huge rewrite.

#5 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yes, unfortunately I think you're right and I'm not holding my breath...

#6 sirchz

sirchz

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

I hope WP8 does well, but I'm not optimisitic. I think a little more competition woudl benefit consumers in the mobile market. Having said that, based on MS's track record I'm not optimistic. What was the last successful product MS launched?

I haven't thought much of the updates to the last few versions of windows or office. Well, other than allowing more rows and columns in excel. Despite the improvements in computer hardware over the past 10 years, I don't think the experience has improved much, if at all.

#7 kurat

kurat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

A little bit of windows history, win 95 bad, win 98 good, win me bad, win xp good, win vista bad, win 7 good, win 8 ??, you cant help but notice a pattern.
I still think xp has been MS's best version.

#8 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Win 8 isn't that bad. I downloaded and installed it the day it was introduced and am liking it more all the time. Nothing bad to say from me.

Vista actually wasn't that bad, but it got a bad rap before people actually tried using it. ME on the other hand... :vomit:

#9 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Bob and Me were not that good, Vista and probably 8 (have not seen it yet) not as bad as written up; many of us just like to dump on Microsoft for entertainment. I consider 7 to be Vista with Service Pack III.

8 won't really come into its own until folks get used to the new UI which means in a couple service packs at least or by version 9.

#10 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well Ron, I can do a bit of dumping on MS myself today. Had an update which killed my HP scanner. Quit working because no available driver is present and can no longer be found online at MS anymore, even though it's been available for over the last 3 years. I even tried a fresh reinstall of Win7 and same thing. The scanner itself detects and reports fine, but when it goes to MS to get the driver, none is found. MS just updated all their drivers and dumped support for it.

Thx MS and HP for making me spend money I don't have or need to spend! Guess Epson is looking like a good choice this time around... Deciding now if I want to reload Win8 or stay at Win7 and Mozilla.

#11 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Does HP have the driver? Don't give up yet.

#12 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well we are talking about Windows Phone 8 not the desktop OS. "Windows Phone 8 allows developers to run native code on the handset. That means popular middleware engines such as Unity and Havoc can run on Windows Phone 8, and that means porting titles between iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 8 is going to be a much simpler process.

While that might only give Windows Phone 8 technical parity in the eyes of the developer with the other leading mobile platforms, there’s something lurking in the background of Windows Phone 8. Windows 8 itself, the Xbox platform, and Windows RT. It might not be write once run on any Redmond device, but it’s going to be a very small jump and the addressable audience just jumped up a few orders of magnitude."

Remember this too. Once upon a time there was Sony Playstation, Nintendo, and Sega. Microsoft decided to launch their own game console. Everyone laughed. No way they could compete! Who's laughing now? Don't write off Microsoft please. The Nokia Lumia 920 is their flagship phone that soundly trounces every other phone with the exception of apps. Microsoft is doing some interesting things right now to get app developers to port their apps over. People who write astronomy related apps don't have much competition right now. What I was suggesting is whoever is first stands to make some money. Every celluar service provider offers Windows 8 Phones and there are quite a few selections. HTC phones are nice too.

I am sure eventually someone will make a good app that includes telescope control. I'll just wait and see who it is.

#13 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Warrington, UK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Whichwayisnorth: I don't think anyone is writing them off. Personally I want them to succeed - we need more than 2 players in the smartphone market. Apple were plenty innovative enough with the iphone, and since then they've steadily improved a good product. Android mostly followed the iPhone, and didn't bring much innovation (beyond plenty of small things of course). MS are bringing something fresh and interesting, hopefully they'll shake things up.

They have a serious mountain to climb though. Windows phone is currently being outsold by Bada - which most people haven't even heard of. Their market share is negligible, meaning many devs aren't interested as there's no real market. Having no competition in a tiny market just means you get 100% of a tiny pie - compared to perhaps 10% of a pie a hundred times larger, it's not a good deal.

And yes, native code will help - in fact that's actually a basic requirement for most devs to write for it *at all*. Lack of opengl support (and lots of other standards that iOS + android support and MS doesn't) will be a problem though - on a phone, you want to port software built for a phone, not software built for windows.

I think that could be a big mistake for MS. Phone apps on a desktop are generally terrible, and desktop apps on a phone are generally unwise (the UI doesn't work, and they're usually not built with things like battery life and poor network reliability in mind).

For some good examples of that, check some of the comparisons between ipad and android tablet apps out there. A lot of the android apps are just upscaled phone apps, and they're pretty terrible compared to the ipad apps. (Same goes on iOS, if you run a phone app on the iPad it's worse, you just get a tiny 'iphone emulator' - but that at least encourages people to get ipad-specific apps, which encourages devs to make them).

#14 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

I agree the diversity and competition here can be good and not writing Win8 phone off, especially since running the desktop. As for Android and since I run an Android phone, I think it advanced what Apple did by opening up the app market due to the open-source Linux based framework, along with the availability of freeware apps.

Ron, re the scanner, it's no fault of MS here, the scanner controller board just died even though it was pretending to still report its ID correctly. So Win8 is back on my desktop and I'm happy again. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics