Question on Balancing a Side-By-Side Rig

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Now that I have some place permanent to set my stuff up, I am trying out a side-by-side mounting scheme. So, now I have the C11 Edge and SW100ED mounted on an ADM side-by-side bar with a Losmandy saddle on one side and a dual saddle on the right. After adjusting the 100ED's position a bit I easily balanced the whole rig in RA, and also in DEC when the tubes are between roughly 30 degrees above the horizon. Below that and they start to drop off slowly. Is there likely to be any long term issue with this balance or should I keep working at it? Any ideas on how to make the DEC balance better? Thanks!

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#2 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

And here is another look...

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#3 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I am trying out a side-by-side mounting scheme. So, now I have the C11 Edge and SW100ED mounted on an ADM side-by-side bar with a Losmandy saddle on one side and a dual saddle on the right. After adjusting the 100ED's position a bit I easily balanced the whole rig in RA, and also in DEC when the tubes are between roughly 30 degrees above the horizon. Below that and they start to drop off slowly. Is there likely to be any long term issue with this balance or should I keep working at it? Any ideas on how to make the DEC balance better?

Here's absolutely everything you need to know to get perfect side-by-side balance: link Using these instructions, I achieved perfect balance with these two extremely dissimilar scopes within five minutes. It's so easy, it's kinda scary!

Attached Files

#4 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Dave, great article! I'll be putting that information to work today. Had a marathon imaging session last night and everything, including the tracking, worked well...I just want to take it easy on the hardware with a spot on balance.

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics