• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brianz

brianz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I took a look at Neptune tonight through my 11" SCT in suburban skies. I thought I saw Triton, but I am not sure... I kept thinking I saw a tiny faint point sitting just off the edge of Neptune's disk, more through averted vision than direct. The separation between Neptune and suspected-Triton was very small, probably an arc second or two... literally just off the edge.

But, I may have been hallucinating.

Did anybody else see Triton tonight? Was it right off the "limb" of Neptune? Curious...

Thanks,
Brian

#2 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I didn't see it tonight, but when I have seen it, that's how it looked.
You probably bagged it.

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

I don't believe that I have seen it that close - few diameters away yes. otherwise it sounds like a Triton nab.

pete

#4 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

I believe triton's angular separation from Neptune varies from 12 to 17 arcseconds, which, while never very far, is still an appreciable distance from Neptune relative to the size of the planet's disk (about 2 arcseconds).

Anyway, I assume you know about sky&tel's triton tracker, which is a useful tool:
http://www.skyandtel...n_tracker/in...

-geo.

p.s. Rick is a shameless optimist! :)

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

One more data point for discussion...

I took a stab at Triton last night. The seeing was only fair but using the 11mm eyepiece on a 10in SCT for a power of 227X, I would see a point of light that popped in and out with averted vision. I could never hold it more then a second or two, and it was in the glare of Neptune. It was approximately where it should have been according to the Sky and Telescope website app.

I am saying it is a maybe, but I am not sure.

#6 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

I can't recall without actually looking at it, but some say it's about several, from five to seven Neptune diameters away. But if it's where the S&T app says it was, then it was most probably Triton! This is especially if it pops in and out of view at the same place. But for me, I've only been able to see Triton at 400x or more.

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

I took a look at Neptune tonight through my 11" SCT in suburban skies. I thought I saw Triton, but I am not sure... I kept thinking I saw a tiny faint point sitting just off the edge of Neptune's disk, more through averted vision than direct. The separation between Neptune and suspected-Triton was very small, probably an arc second or two... literally just off the edge. But, I may have been hallucinating. Did anybody else see Triton tonight? Was it right off the "limb" of Neptune? Curious... Thanks,
Brian

You probably saw Triton - well done :bow: It's very easy to image - almost any time a 'faint star' is seen close to Neptune it turns out to be Triton :grin: And because Neptune is 2 mags fainter than Uranus, Triton is easier to see than the Uranian sats which are of similar brightness to Triton but get lost in Uranus' glare. Neptune+Triton is of course much further away @ ~30AU whilst Uranus is only ~20AU - a huge difference :rainbow:

#8 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Heh heh heh... I was once a few years back as a rank newbie (not that I'm not now) nailed by a couple of CNers for mistaking a faint star, SAO-something-or-another, for Triton. It wasn't until my next shot at it that I actually saw Triton. Sometimes it actually IS just some faint star and not the elusive satellite, as I found out to my chagrin!

#9 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

You might have seen Triton, but it never gets close to 1 arc second from Neptune. I don't remember exactly, but perhaps 8 to 10 arc seconds is the closest you will see them.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics