• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hi

During the align of my new C10-NGT i started getting error no response16 and no response 17 almost right away... celestron site on this error (RA/DEC motor communication lost) i kept at it.. still kept getting it... looked up the errors and it appears its most likely a bad cable or underpowered.

i went out with a fully charged battery tank.. then i remember that the connection wasnt screwed in tightly as the manual suggested... but the reason it wasnt to begin with was because i couldnt get the thing to grab the threads and pull itself in... upon closer inspection i see that its probably hitting the casing on the bottom left.. you can see in the pic where i tried to turn it and instead of pulling in its hitting the plastic casing.. its like they designed it wrong or put the plug in the wrong place! has anyone seen this? i tried very very firmly trying to get this to thread in tight for a better connection, even with needlenose pliers applying some pressure but i think its hitting the plastic casing of the mount.. has anyone else encountered this??? what to do? oh btw i am using (also new) a celestron gps unit.. i tried not usng the gps and it still did it. .. i made a plug of my own with some 12v cord parts i have around but it doesnt quite fit that good OTOH its not giving the error as much... i finally was able to do a fake align and have it start tracking (with my cable, and no gps) in the house a little while ago.. i did a bunch of slewing both axis' at the same time trying to draw some power and it hasnt given the error.. so im leaning towards the plug not having good contact... so i was going to try it outside.. then it clouded over.. :bawling:

should i scrape away some of the plastic on the casing so i can screw in the plug for strain relief? surely someone else has seen this issue? help! thanks!

Attached Files

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

That power cable was not designed to fit the CG-5 mount. It was supplied with the CGEM mounts, but was far better than the one supplied with the CG-5 that had a high very failure rate.

If you eliminate power as a problem the next thing to address is connections from the hand controller to the MC board. If this is a brand new mount, you may want to contact Celestron or the retailer for repair or replacement.

Stan

#3 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

really weird that it came with my cg-5. it looks like a good heavy duty cable as you say.. if it would plug in for crying out loud! yes thanks, I opened a support ticket with them.

#4 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

thought id just mention i narrowed it down to the gps unit.. when it is not plugged in i dont have the issues.. i bought new heavyduty cables, tried a regulated power supply... it all came down to that! i have yet to hear from celestron but in the meantime ive confirmed the mount and hand controller are both using the latest firmware so i have no idea if they can even do anything for me.. its odd that the gps does appear to work just fine! except that i get those errors when slewing almost immediately.. i cant even finish a 2 star align. maybe its a bad unit though.. (??). working on getting it returned.

#5 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Celestron sent me a fixed or new gps unit that works btw!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics