Having a Blast

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

I gotta tell ya, I just love it in the tropics. Retired here without much consideration of the seeing and hit the jackpot. So fortunate. And really, I got my Mak about 2 years ago. Discovered planetary viewing and sketching and really just invigorated my love for our hobby. So, forgive the flurry of sketches, I just cannot help myself.

Had a great night with Jupiter in 9/10 seeing, again. Also, 52 Orionis was so pretty, cleanly split bright dots of light with a steady figure 8 Airy pattern. Just amazingly beautiful.

Jupiter was, again, nothing less that stunning for me as it has been for others. The NEB is ripe with bright rifts and long thin festoons. I tried to convey the pencil tin nature of the festoons. I am not sure if there was one emanating from the larger feature near the meridian (with a distinct bright feature just preceding it), but there might have been a very faint one. The EQ belt encroaching from the preceding limb almost appeared bent southward.

Earlier, the NTrZ had a more of a ruddy hue to it, but that might have faded a bit.

The normally bland and difficult SEB (minus the GRS and wake) showed itself quite nicely. There seemed to be a dark "core" running it's length with a darker central feature. I did not see any of the brighter distinct wake features at sys I ~190, but I could just barely make out some molted appearance along the north and south SEB. The southern molting appeared a bit more prominent and extended a greater distance along the SEB. Noticing this level of SEB tone was a first for me, one of a few this year.

The Southern belts and zones were pretty nice. One very bright zone, south temperate I believe, was clearly evident. And I thought I could just make out two thin southern temperate belts. Quite beautiful.

Not much in the northern temperate zones, except hints of some faint banding and maybe a darker feature as shown. And the NTB had some of it's darker features with darker knots that do appear to reach upward a tiny bit. Plus, I did notice some lighter feature in the NTB, as well.

One feature I have been remiss in sketching is the limb darkening. It does appear more prominent on the preceding lime. I will take note of it more often.

All in all, great night pushing myself, my scope, and the conditions for everything I can get from them. Thanks for sharing.

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

Great detail :waytogo:
I'm feeling guilty not sketched Jupiter yet this season :(

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

May your guilt eat at you until you do. No offence. :)

Our observing season just kicked off a few weeks ago. Jupiter is still rising a bit late, but near the zenith about midnight. It will be more accessible in a month, but there is so much to see, Jeff. So, I hope you can find the time and the clear skies, my friend. :crazyeyes:

#4 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Norme, you need to keep producing sketches to inspire us to do the same. BTW, enjoy the advantage of tropical air...it's a dream for my retirement, as well. For planets and birds...the tropics are where it's at! :grin:

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

...the tropics are where it's at!

Not bad for girl watching, either. During the day, I mean. :)

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Norme,

A very fine observation and sketch. You are really training your eye for Jupiter. :)

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Michael, I harp on the conditions too much. But, I gotta tell ya, when you can de-focus to less than 1 wave and put that Poisson spot dead center of the very steady first bright ring (actually many thin, tightly packed bright rings - not one big one), well you have about tweaked all the aberration from the scope. And seeing adds little or no aberration.

Very precise collimation is another bennie of great conditions. But, I get those times where seeing drops to about 6 or 7/10 and nowhere near that detail is possible. Its just that those very steady moments are more frequent and last a bit longer with even some moments of 10/10.

Been trying to understand the conditions here. I really think a 6" aperture is perfect, in terms of the seeing cells, air mass, tilt...all that. Last year I noticed Saturn did not shimmy, but sometimes the entire planet would bounce around completely in tact.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

Norme,

Wonderful sketching, details captured are wonderful. We can all tell you are having a great time. Keep those super fine sketches coming.

Frank :)

#9 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Frank, thank you. Yea, it's been a real treat this year. No kidding. Than you for noticing and for sharing it.

Just did two more sketches from last night. And your know what? I learned something. More discussion in that thread about what it means to be "white." That little lesson improved my ability to capture fainter hues, and it's stemmed from a discussion between Dean and George. Really, Jupiter never looked so good.

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics